So I am ressurecting this ugly thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think they cleared away the old bike that was part of MacB. Will have a look later but as I recall, the wheels were very old and dodgy. Steel rims, I think!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think they cleared away the old bike that was part of MacB. Will have a look later but as I recall, the wheels were very old and dodgy. Steel rims, I think!

That's a crying shame I'd have taken the hub on it's own for strip/rebuild practice, just snipped out of wheel would have been fine. Now that I've overcome my childhood hatred of SA hubs, think chopper and kid with no idea how to get the gear toggle chain right, I actually rather appreciate them. I'll keep my eye out at the tip etc, if I find another, and I rebuild it decently, you're welcome to it.

To be fair I reckon that if SA came up with some sort of quick release mechanism on the 3 speed they'd be a lot more popular. Even with all my practice, in a warm dry garage, the prospect of a puncture on the open road is less than appealing. So the hub is only run with M+ tyres.

al78

Guru
Hi Al

Yes and yes :smile: Don't know much about hub gears, so I pretty much discounted it without any investigation. A hub gear would be heavier and more expensive?

They will be a little heavier but we are talking a few hundred grams at most. It's unlikely you would notice the difference.

Cost - initially a little more expensive (although there is a wide range depending on how many speeds you want) but that will be offset with lower maintenance costs in the long run.

Top Bottom