So I picked up an Allez..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
And it rides absolutely horribly!

I can't believe how heavy it feels, how slowly I accelerate, how harsh the ride is and how I miss my 28 cassette. I almost want to get the bus to work in the morning. Although, it was my first ride in 9 weeks so maybe my fitness is partly to blame.

I know I've probably been spoiled by my previous bike (Roubaix Expert), but didn't expect the ride to be so different. It's only around 2KG heavier after all.

Please tell me it gets better!

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
[QUOTE 2390307, member: 45"]You're getting through some bikes aren't you? What did you do with the Carrera?[/quote]

Sold it to a girl in the club last summer. I got the Roubaix at the same time, but that was written off in a crash in January there.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know a few Allez riders who rate them highly, maybe your fitness has dropped over the winter? Hope you start enjoying it again .Good Luck

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
I know a few Allez riders who rate them highly, maybe your fitness has dropped over the winter? Hope you start enjoying it again .Good Luck

Could be the fitness.

It's possibly the gearing as well. I've went from a compact to a double, and I really feel it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Could be the fitness.

It's possibly the gearing as well. I've went from a compact to a double, and I really feel it.

Dont think I could cope on a double over hills. Have to be a triple or compact. Can you change to a smaller inner chain ring?

boydj

Legendary Member
Riding the Roubaix has spoilt you. The Allez is a good bike for people moving on to a road bike for the first time, but after you've ridden a lighter bike with better components, as you have discovered, the difference is noticeable.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yeah, they're pretty bad. Hopefully the insurance company let me keep the Roubaix and I can us the parts to upgrade the Allez.
They're a great intro bike, which tbh when I got mine (2011) I was still very much a newbie. Have been wanting something much pricier for most of my time owning it.

Top Bottom