So I put blue flashing lights on my bike & rode through the town centre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And how many people have been taken to court and fined for this "breach of lighting regulations"?

Probably because most of us realise that it is stupid and don't do it.
Then of course there for the very few stupid enough to do this - thereis the Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme where a driver of a vehicle is given a short period of time to correct a vehicle fault and this is applied to bicycles as a common sense measure

So chances are with a 99.9% with common sense, and the matter of the stupid few dealt with as a rectification, the number of cases actually going to court are not going to be many

BSRU

A Human Being
If anyone here uses the clipless pedals after sunset in the UK on public roads, then you breach of the same lighting regulations, just a different section. Same penalty tho.
Rubbish, my clipless pedals have orange reflectors on, back and front.

OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Schedule 20 doesn't create an offence.

Failure to have pedal reflectors does not carry the same penalty as the offence of illegally fitting/using blue lights (which is a fine up to Level 3 on the standard scale). Instead it carries a fixed penalty.

So yes - you were talking rubbish.

Link please... Also if the police can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice for ANYTHING, Then the have the option of prosecuting instead. So what is the maxim penalty in court for not having pedal reflectors fitted after sunset on a public road in England & Wales?? I believe it's the same £1000

EDIT ADDING MORE.
So what happens if a cyclist is issued a fixed penalty by the police for not having pedal reflectors at night, and the cyclist doesn't pay the fixed penalty? Does it go down as a civil debt? NO! They will get a court summons in the post. So when they go to court what's the max penalty? £1000. Remember I referred to the maxim penalty in my original post, not the minimum.

Last edited:

Road_Runner

Regular
OK guys... hands up all of those who took a grumpy pill

I agree. Lighten up guys. The guy is just having some fun. There are much worst things happen in life.

I'm not going to get in to the dispute about whether it's a crime or not. But think about how many and much worst other offenses actually occur on a daily basis. Eg. let's not lie, the majority of us frequently speed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Lets see.
OP wanted to see the effect that blue flashing lights would have on traffic at night. So he goes out and purchases some. Fully aware that if stopped he might face a fine of upto £1000 & prepared to pay it, if stopped.
Argues that not having pedal reflectors is just as bad as riding on a bike fitted out with flashing blue lights.
There are rules, some daft, that apply to bikes that are sold without pedals, or incomplete. Does anyone know if not having pedal reflectors are covered under these rules?

BSRU

A Human Being
maybe you do.. Photo please, or BS coming from you.
Can't be arsed.

Top Bottom