So, Im Ditching Windows And Moving Fully To Linux...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Pretty much any PC from the last four or five years should run Windows 11 no problem, there is a lot of misinformation around system requirements, particularly around TPM - which is by default disabled in most computers BIOS and will need turning on to satisfy the checks for Windows 11. This includes Intel 6000 series processors and newer and all AMD Ryzen platform chips.

Of course this will require that the BIOS has that option and some systems may not, but for the majority of people there should be no problems.

Also Windows 10 will remain supported until 2025 at least.

Thanks, I've checked. It doesn't have TPM.

I've not used Wine for years (mainly because I've not needed to) I must give it another chance, I found it very hit and miss last time I used it.
YMMV of course, not everything will work, and there may be a small performance hit when compared to native.
Depends upon the age of the application and how well supported they are.
OTOH I was able to effortlessly play games from 1998 on Wine that are a major faff to get to run on Windows 10.

Of my 2 laptops and 1 base unit running Windows 10, only the base has TPM - and that’s only v1.2 so won’t do for Windows 11. These are machines that run quickly enough for my needs, have plenty of memory, SSDs, and have never let me down. I don’t plan to buy a new computer simply to be able to run Windows 11. So, between now and 2025 (which, let’s face it, will be here before you can blink), I’m going to be working on options.

Current plan - I’ll keep one Windows 10 laptop going after 2025, but won’t use it online at all. This will enable me to continue using software titles that won’t run under WINE in Linux. For the other 2 machines, I’ll be migrating to MInt. I’ve used Mint before for extended periods of up to a year and really liked it. The more I used it, the more I felt like one day it would be my main OS.

Gravity has kept me using Windows since 3.11. When Windows 7 came out, I had issues with some older software and had to find ways to keep it running. The same happened when Windows 10 came out. If Windows 11 encourages me to finally move to Mint on my everyday go-to computers, so be it 🙂

si_c

Guru
Of my 2 laptops and 1 base unit running Windows 10, only the base has TPM - and that’s only v1.2 so won’t do for Windows 11. These are machines that run quickly enough for my needs, have plenty of memory, SSDs, and have never let me down. I don’t plan to buy a new computer simply to be able to run Windows 11. So, between now and 2025 (which, let’s face it, will be here before you can blink), I’m going to be working on options.

Could well be fine, the TPM 2.0 requirement is largely for new machines, 1.2 has largely the same featureset as 2.0 but it's achieved differently, so TPM 1.2 in many cases will work with Windows 11.

Edit to add: TPM 1.2 will apparently be fine for DIY builds for the present, we'll have to see what the final system requirements will actually be, Microsoft have been back and forth on a couple of things and we won't know for sure until the final build of Windows 11 is prepared.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What processor/motherboard do you have?

I've just checked and the processor is an AMD FX(tm) - 8350 Eight-Core, 4000Mhz. The BIOS is American Megatrends F2 from 01/04/2015, which may be the issue.

The motherboard's from Gigabyte, a 990FXA-UD3 R5

That's all I know and it came from CCL.

si_c

Guru
I've just checked and the processor is an AMD FX(tm) - 8350 Eight-Core, 4000Mhz. The BIOS is American Megatrends F2 from 01/04/2015, which may be the issue.

The motherboard's from Gigabyte, a 990FXA-UD3 R5

That's all I know and it came from CCL.

Almost exactly the same as my old system, I had a slightly earlier motherboard revision UD3 R1.2. Sadly you are correct this system will not support a TPM chip so you're best sticking with Windows 10 until it reaches end of life or you refresh the hardware.

It will be getting very long in the tooth now however, the FX series of chips was never a stellar performer and whilst more than adequate for most tasks is very power hungry. I was originally going to press the hardware into service as a media centre/light gaming PC, but worked out that over the expected life of the machine buying a new CPU and motherboard and RAM was more cost effective in terms of reduced electricity usage.

Could well be fine, the TPM 2.0 requirement is largely for new machines, 1.2 has largely the same featureset as 2.0 but it's achieved differently, so TPM 1.2 in many cases will work with Windows 11.

Edit to add: TPM 1.2 will apparently be fine for DIY builds for the present, we'll have to see what the final system requirements will actually be, Microsoft have been back and forth on a couple of things and we won't know for sure until the final build of Windows 11 is prepared.

Interesting. I do feel, though, that for me the advent of Windows 11 is in itself the “migratory push“ I suspected might come along one day. Have really enjoyed this thread. I’m quite looking forward to getting Mint up and running on a spare drive again - so much so, that I’ve told Mrs B it’s my project for this afternoon!

I've not used Wine for years (mainly because I've not needed to) I must give it another chance, I found it very hit and miss last time I used it.

Have a look at Oracle’s VirtualBox software. It works like any other program on your system but provides a virtual machine to allow you to install and run Windows in a Linux environment. With a bit of configuration, you can do things like install and run iTunes and sync your iPod. You can also have it access the files on your Linux file system, so documents are available if you need to run Excel, Word etc, rather than the OpenOffice equivalent.

It also allows you to create different virtual machines where you can install different versions of Linux to see which one suits the best.

I found that, when I ran XP as a virtual machine under OpenSUSE, Windows performed better than it had done when The computer ran XP as the operating system.

yello

Have a look at Oracle’s VirtualBox software.

I used it very effectively for many years, almost solely for Garmin software. I had to mess around a bit with USB (as I recall) to get my the GPS to be recognised but after that, all was good. I used it to pull tracks off my Edge, save to disk them import them into Linux based software.

Then I wrote/ripped-off a script to pull the data via garmintools (native to linux), convert the gmn files to tcx and bob was me uncle. No further need for virtualbox (though I still kept it to run Garmin Training Center)

As the only game I play regularly is UT99 GOTY, I could probably get Wine to run it. Never used any flavour of Linux on a powerful desktop, only on laptops, most of them relatively old. My wife's machine is Core i3-powered Dell Latitude, seems nippy enough. How it would be on a hyperthreaded quad-core...pretty damned fast, I'd say.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
The machine I'm on now is still running Windows 7 and I have no problems with it. My games machine has Win 10 and I don't intent to change it anytime soon.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
With Linux, I could get 'down and dirty'; change flat file configs, amend bits of code, copy other bits of code from the web, write my own interface scripts, try out different packages, etc etc etc. Seriously, for me the change to Linux has been, above all else, fun. I spend hours dicking around with code etc, just because... something I never did with Windows.
And that is exactly why I ditched Linux after a six month trial, I just want an operating system not a hobby.

Fine if you like that sort of thing, but for most computer users it would be a non starter.

Fine if you like that sort of thing, but for most
It is one of the downsides of Linux that it derives purely from someone's hobby intent to write an open-source Unix implementation. It has never quite become as slick as a commercially produced product, although it edges closer all the time. Certainly, for those who enjoy hacking (which, in the Linux world, always meant someone who messes with code for fun. Criminals were called crackers), it is great. For those who are somewhere between coders and bodgers, ie me, it can be a bit of a mixed bag, but I'm thinking it's the way to go.

Top Bottom