So, is my Shifter Stuffed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exile

Riding home Friday night, after dropping in to the little ring to make a climb, I found I couldn't get back in to the big ring. Not a problem, half a mile from home so I spun the rest of the way, then put the bike away with the intention of fixing the problem over the weekend. It'd be a quick job, probably just the limit screw or cable tension. Weekend came, and I've just spent the last hour or so tinkering with cables, limits and mechs and I'm now at my wits end and think I need some advice before I do something drastic like turn it into a single ring at the front, or buy a new bike.

It's a Sora double shifter, and I can see that moving the lever moves the cage, but it just won't 'click' in to place, meaning I can get it to shift the chain on to the big ring (and, after adjusting limit screws, off the rings all together), but as soon as I release the lever, it goes back to the small ring. Prior to Friday things were fine. Any suggestions on things I could try to fix it, or what I can check to see if it is cream crackered?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Does it work if you release the cable?

sgl5gjr

release the cable and work the shifter up and down....... while holding the cable taut..... if it clicks in and out and pulls the cable....all is well...if not...it's toast.

That is a quick tip when fitting new cables if you DIY.... thread the cable through the shifter and click up and down... to make sure the cable is fully home in the shifter...I as a matter of course do it after new housings are on too before I set up the mechs.... but then it's my job and I only want to do it once...

A considerable number of Shimano left shifters do break down.

The metal used is like the old monkey metal and if the shifting gets a bit stiff then they can break.

You'll need a new shifter - which won't be cheap as lots of other users are chasing the same thing.

OP
OP
E

Exile

I don't think that sounds good. Sounds like the indexing/ratchet has gone home.

I feared it'd be something along those lines. Guess it'll be going back to Halford's for repairs in that case, the bike is still a few months shy of a year old so hopefully it'll be a painless experience (not holding my breath, though)

The metal used is like the old monkey metal and if the shifting gets a bit stiff then they can break.

Do you know if the 105 shifters suffer from the same issue? That's one of the things on my shopping list for a "nice bike" build I'm dreaming up, but if they suffer from a similar flaw, it might be worth looking at other options.

Do you know if the 105 shifters suffer from the same issue? That's one of the things on my shopping list for a "nice bike" build I'm dreaming up, but if they suffer from a similar flaw, it might be worth looking at other options.

The older versions did - I get the impression that later models are better as you see fewer right hand shifters for sale.

Top Bottom