So many gears, pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not so great if the nearest town is 10 miles away, different horses for different courses, I like the fact we all have plenty of choice when it comes to cycling.
Why not so great? Works for me 5 miles out. Stick it in top and tick along for 25mins...

Yes to choice. No to shooting on other fine choices.

Mike_P

Guru
See, sweat is the product of effort. Doing effort is what training / sport is.
If you take the car then it's even less sweat. Basically yet another wording of what I said before.
Ebikes serve to get faster somewhere and that's it/that's all.
Think we are simply going to have to agree to disagree, the simple fact is that since getting an ebike my use of a bicycle has risen significantly and use of the expensive 4 wheeled vehicle has dropped pro rata. Maybe your view might be influenced by where you live but a commute or shopping trip for me is typically 85ft/mile of climbing.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Cycling is not necessarily training/sport. It can be transport. We'd prefer even those to ride not drive, to reduce the amount they shoot in our lungs, so ebikes are good.

Do ebikes benefit more from close-spaced gears?
I can see both sides of the great ebike argument discussion and personally I am 'currently' not a fan because I like that feeling of being propelled along by my own effort and, the burn on the muscles as a result of my effort (sick eh!). I like the basic mechanics of chains, cables, bearings and sprockets that I can 'mostly' tinker about with myself and, I like the sleek lines of a bike with traditional looking tubes rather than having a 'boxy' sectional look to them (sorry Giant) BUT, when/if I get to a time in my life when the only choice that I have to get me out enjoying the outdoors without being trapped inside a car is an ebike, then that is probably the choice that I will make :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Chamomile Tea!!

I won't touch the stuff. Modern expensive rubbish and anyone who drinks it is an idiot.

Some nice steel tea is what you want.
ummm... I realise you were trying to make a joke but....

Chamomile is old school. It’s been used since ancient times. Both the Egyptians and the ancient Romans used chamomile in tea, salves, creams, incenses and other beverages. In Egypt, chamomile was prescribed as a cold remedy. In the modern era, nighttime chamomile tea is a staple for inducing sleep. Recent studies have supported the efficacy of chamomile for cold prevention, sleep induction, and other ancient applications. :unsure::scratch:

silva

Über Member
Cycling is not necessarily training/sport. It can be transport. We'd prefer even those to ride not drive, to reduce the amount they shoot in our lungs, so ebikes are good.

Do ebikes benefit more from close-spaced gears?
I said ebikes sole benefit is get faster from A to B. Whether that is without rear rack, an empty rear rack or a rear rack with a bucket oisters on it, uphill, against wind, warm, cold, whatever, is irrelevant.
Without a motor, one can also transport, only less fast.
I ride without motor and with a single gear, and I had loads of 60 kg 30 km back. Both scattered and concentrated in weight.
It just takes more time than with an ebike, that's it, that's all.

screenman

Legendary Member
I said ebikes sole benefit is get faster from A to B. Whether that is without rear rack, an empty rear rack or a rear rack with a bucket oisters on it, uphill, against wind, warm, cold, whatever, is irrelevant.
Without a motor, one can also transport, only less fast.
I ride without motor and with a single gear, and I had loads of 60 kg 30 km back. Both scattered and concentrated in weight.
It just takes more time than with an ebike, that's it, that's all.

More time on the bike each day adds up to less time doing things important to them, family time and the suchlike.

silva

Über Member
More time on the bike each day adds up to less time doing things important to them, family time and the suchlike.
That's with a walk, a car, a plane and a beam me up scotty also the case.
Life is a choice just like an ebike isn't a sport choice.

Top Bottom