So..... Merida?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hobbio

I've been reading around since I joined, and there's hardly any mention of Merida bikes. I'm intending to buy this Big Nine 29er, but Merida as a brand don't seem to get much attention.

Are they any good? I know they're not the lightest of bikes, but at 95kg myself I not overly concerned about saving 2 or 3% of of the overall weight.

To be honest, I'm probably going to get it anyway as my LBS is a dealer and is 2 mins walk from my house, and I think it looks sexy as anything, but my usual policy of researching the hell out of everything online hasn't really turned too much up on it. Being the base model, I realise that the components aren't top spec but the frame is the same as the top non-carbon models and if I get to the point where I need more (probs not for a good long while yet...) I can upgrade. The one review I've found praised the frame but slated the forks.

I'm just looking for some feedback on Merida as a brand though. Anyone have any knowledge to share?

Lee_M

Guru
big in mtb and also build lots of bikes for other big name companies

just moved into road bikes with their own brand

Lampre are now Lampre Merida

Motozulu

Über Member
I have the Merida Matts 300D trails and for much the same reason as you - dealer at the end of my street.

It has'nt let me down, entry level model with lower end components but a good steady bike. You do get what you pay for normally but have since learned that my £600 would have gone much further on a Cube. The Merida is heavy with clunky XCM suntour forks, if I had shopped around I must admit I would'nt have got the Merida - there are much better out there for the same money.

I think for what you get - they are overpriced.

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

Hmmm, maybe I'll have a look at Cube too. It's a name that I keep seeing around this forum, usually just after "I love my..".

zizou

Veteran
Never riden one but they are the 2nd biggest bike manufacturer in the world (they also own 49% of specialized) so you should be confident that they have the know how to make a decent frame

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

There's a Cube dealer 10mins from work. I really want a 29er, and I've seen this one.

I don't really know what I'm looking at with regard to equipment, is the spec better than the Merida? It's marginally cheaper, but only by about £20.

goody

Veteran
At that price point there are not huge differences between each bike the fuji has a 9 speed groupset which is better than the 8 on the others (gives you a smoother transition between gear changes). The forks all seem to be XCM, I'VE got one on my bike which will be upgraded soon its a bit clunky at either end of its travel but ok if you don't ride too hard. If you're not obsessed with getting the best equipped bike for the money and are happy to upgrade a few bits over time then get the one that feels best to sit on and you like the look of best, otherwise out of the above the Fuji seems slightly better.

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

Cheers mate, I'd pretty much decided to go for the Merida anyway. I still prefer the looks of it, and the proximity of the dealer to my house is worth the slight price premium over the Cube.

Confusion over.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How much do you want to spend - according to mbr best hardtail 29er on test for £600 is the Voodoo Bizango

for 1k its the scott scale 960

the fuji nevada got 4/10 and the rockhopper got 7/10

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

Mine's straight out my own pocket sadly. My company did raise the possibility of C2W, but there was hardly any interest so the idea was dropped.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have a Merida... there, I've said it.:blush:

So does my mate. His bike is lovely. It's a roadbike he bought on C2W. It's very lovely.

Merida make some incredibly good quality bikes with lovely frames, and feature very highly in top level XC racing, esp abroad. The one I have actually belongs to my daughter. It's a Matts SUB 60 so has a typical trekking/XC frame, with stock Shimano wheelset and shimano brakes. The Octalink chainset is still going strong, and it has LX and XT mechs. The utterly woefully shite OEM RST fork was binned after the first time she rode it on a proper trail, and it now has a rather nice Tora coil fork on it. It's no lightweight, but it's not too porky either. I've taken a few kilos off it by swapping the wheels and tyres for Alexrims and Schwalbes, and if I find one at the right price it'll get a Hollowtech chainset.

They are a quality outfit with quality Taiwanese frames made, I'm told, by the same people that Trek use. If that's a plus point then so be it!

Top Bottom