So much road rage...in me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For weekend riding can you ride out in the morning, when it's quiet and get a train home from the end of your ride? That's what I do, but I may be lucky that it's quite practical for me to do that. I know what you mean about having to do the last 15km of your ride through built up areas. It kind of takes the edge off the enjoyment.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
City/Town cycling is not for everyone. Some people just get on with it and are not bothered by all the kerfuffle it brings. Others just can't be doing with it. My partner hates cycling in built up areas so when we plan a cycle ride together we put the bikes in the car and drive to a start point with far less traffic.
So do as others have said, grab a train or drive out to quieter spots, jump on your bike and pedal away.
Much better for your well being.

Globalti

Legendary Member
GtiJ and I once went out with a small group from Manchester Uni. The first few miles of the ride were just getting clear of the city out into Cheshire where the roads seemed quite busy compared with Lancashire where we normally ride. Then back into the city; there's no joy in riding on busy city roads even at a weekend.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

there's no joy in riding on busy city roads even at a weekend.

Aye, no joy at all, at least for me. I can imagine it's the same in every city but in Edinburgh there is always traffic, even when I leave the house at 8am on a Saturday morning. Potholes are always there regardless of the time, bus drivers cutting you off are always there even at the weekend. Can't wait to move out of here.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Great ride on Saturday morning.

Loaded the bike on the car, drove out for 30 minutes, parked the car, unloaded the bike, and off I was.

Rode my bike up and down the hills for 2 hours, didn't see ANY cars on the road, just a dozen of polite and friendly cyclists.

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'll be a hypocrite and say I almost wish I'd been able to do that on Saturday.
It started off nice, but cycle.travel dragged me through the worst of Wigan and Leigh and by the time I was back out the other side on quiet bike trails I was in a right foul mood.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Good advice above, but I'd also concentrate on not letting the close passes etc get to you. it will eat you up if you let it. It can happen anywhere, even on country roads (although less traffic I know). Try and chnage how you react to idiot drivers; I just try and laugh under my breath and think how idiotic they are and wonder how they have got through life so far without a full time carer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Great ride on Saturday morning.

Loaded the bike on the car, drove out for 30 minutes, parked the car, unloaded the bike, and off I was.

Rode my bike up and down the hills for 2 hours, didn't see ANY cars on the road, just a dozen of polite and friendly cyclists.

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back.
Good stuff. Presumably you're not an urban commuter or utility cyclist?

bigjim

Legendary Member
I sometimes quite enjoy dealing with traffic especially today when filtering through an unusually long line of traffic and realising that a motorbike was following me through, so I pulled over to the side when I reached the lights to allow room for him at the front. We both had a bit of a chuckle when I pointed out how much the drivers hated him for filtering and a short discussion followed of which one of us they hated more. :laugh:

I still think it's him, obviously. :becool:

Jump the train and get out the city, especially if you aren't commuting and just out to enjoy leisure rides. Life's too short. :okay:
I ride a motorbike and never ever get grief off drivers. On the pushbike the opposite. Strange.

bigjim

Legendary Member
GtiJ and I once went out with a small group from Manchester Uni. The first few miles of the ride were just getting clear of the city out into Cheshire where the roads seemed quite busy compared with Lancashire where we normally ride. Then back into the city; there's no joy in riding on busy city roads even at a weekend.
The Cheshire lanes on a Sunday have more than their fair share of idiots. Some of them are cyclists.

Last edited:

Wobbling

Regular
I can only advise as others have suggested get our earlier however you still get them on the homeward run but at least you can de tense in the bath

Top Bottom