So much road rage...in me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

So, I've been riding my bike for a few months now, after at least 15 years of not even sitting on one. So far I really love cycling and despite not commuting to work by bike, I'm out on long-ish rides (50-80km) almost every weekend.

At the beginning it was all great, I enjoyed every minute on the saddle; I guess it's what we can call the novelty effect.

Now that the honeymoon's over, I can't get over the fact of how much I hate cycling in the city. I hate it with all my heart!

I live in Edinburgh, a city with more potholes than people; a city with drivers and especially cab drivers that are among the biggest twats I've ever had the chance to deal with. I usually have to cycle on awful and busy roads for 15km before I get to the countryside, where cars are rare and the roads are scenic and so pleasurable to ride on. There I find my peace...until I have to ride those awful last 15km back, only this time I'm tired.

It's Tuesday and I still can picture in my head all the potholes I've miraculously avoided and the faces of all the peanuts that cut me off last Saturday.

I'm thinking of loading the bike in the car next weekend, drive out in to the countryside, and ride in peace from there.

Anyone else does it? Or do you just suck it up and go?

How do you refrain yourself from chasing drivers that do you wrong, drag them out of the car, and punch them unconscious? It's all I can dream about today :smile:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I film them & then upload/report it. Saves having an argument/getting too bothered about it. Avon & Somerset tell me if they NFA the report (very unusual).

Otherwise they say "prosecuted" which means sent advice to, sent a NIP to, offered a fixed penalty, or actually prosecuted (and they won't say which). It isn't much but it is something and I am happier that something is done to let cockwombles know that they can be held to account.

I don't think Edinburgh police do much about dangerous driving reported in this way at the moment, but this may change.

So, I've been riding my bike for a few months now, after at least 15 years of not even sitting on one. So far I really love cycling and despite not commuting to work by bike, I'm out on long-ish rides (50-80km) almost every weekend.

At the beginning it was all great, I enjoyed every minute on the saddle; I guess it's what we can call the novelty effect.

Now that the honeymoon's over, I can't get over the fact of how much I hate cycling in the city. I hate it with all my heart!

I live in Edinburgh, a city with more potholes than people; a city with drivers and especially cab drivers that are among the biggest twats I've ever had the chance to deal with. I usually have to cycle on awful and busy roads for 15km before I get to the countryside, where cars are rare and the roads are scenic and so pleasurable to ride on. There I find my peace...until I have to ride those awful last 15km back, only this time I'm tired.

It's Tuesday and I still can picture in my head all the potholes I've miraculously avoided and the faces of all the peanuts that cut me off last Saturday.

I'm thinking of loading the bike in the car next weekend, drive out in to the countryside, and ride in peace from there.

Anyone else does it? Or do you just suck it up and go?

How do you refrain yourself from chasing drivers that do you wrong, drag them out of the car, and punch them unconscious? It's all I can dream about today :smile:
If getting in the car helps, do it.

I find cycle.travel great for picking out quieter routes through built up areas.

A mirror greatly reduced my stress levels.

Having a robust bike meant rough stuff was less of an irritant.

The biggest challenge is to change the mindset.

Are you using any logging apps like Strava etc? If so, forget about speed/distance etc and try to concentrate on the here and now.

Getting out of a "race" mentality and being willing to slow down and take my time at tricky situations helped enormously.

Try to wear a smile (fake it until you make it!). People respond to smiles. Pedestrians, sometimes even car drivers, will respond to a smile in kind. Always makes me feel better.

I find thinking less about where I want to get to and instead thinking of how I want to get there helps too. Ignorant drivers, potholes etc. become challenges to be overcome rather than obstacles in my way. When I successfully overcome one I feel better than simply giving out about the obstacle blocking me from my fun.

Physically, breathing properly helps reduce stress. Stopped at lights? Take deep breaths. After been cut off? Pull in for a minute or two and rebalance.

At the end of the day I want to enjoy my cycling. If I'm not enjoying it, I'm the only one who can change that.

Good luck!

slow scot

Veteran
Edinburgh is notoriously bad for getting out of, so I do sympathise with you. The car option is the only way to remedy this I fear, but you then have some good roads once out of the city.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I film them & then upload/report it. Saves having an argument/getting too bothered about it. Avon & Somerset tell me if they NFA the report (very unusual).

Otherwise they say "prosecuted" which means sent advice to, sent a NIP to, offered a fixed penalty, or actually prosecuted (and they won't say which). It isn't much but it is something and I am happier that something is done to let cockwombles know that they can be held to account.

I don't think Edinburgh police do much about dangerous driving reported in this way at the moment, but this may change.
In the last 6 months iv submitted 3 clips via the same channel as you. The template email mr. B sends back has been different on all 3 occasions. The latest one last week clearly said a warning letter or a fixed penalty or a prosecution has been issued. This is an improvement

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes use the car to get clear of the city and onto empty country roads. I always drive the 5 miles to meet my cycling buddies so as to avoid the boring bit with traffic.

If that doesn't turn you on, check the wind direction, train out, cycle with the wind and train back. We've done this a few times using the Settle-Carlisle through the western Dales.

Edit: and if it helps, I have to commute through the Lancashire mill towns for an hour each way (35 minutes without traffic) and every time I see some tosspot taking liberties or driving like a Muppet I have to suppress the urge to get out and smash their mirrors off. It's usually one or two incidents a day. Can't wait to retire in June if I'm not wiped out first.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
In the last 6 months iv submitted 3 clips via the same channel as you. The template email mr. B sends back has been different on all 3 occasions. The latest one last week clearly said a warning letter or a fixed penalty or a prosecution has been issued. This is an improvement
Bristol Cycling Campaign has had a pop at them, as have I and many others. It's a small step but you still get the "you're not a victim" insult when some idiot in a BMW has skimmed you too close for a laugh. More to be done.. !

Slick

Guru
I sometimes quite enjoy dealing with traffic especially today when filtering through an unusually long line of traffic and realising that a motorbike was following me through, so I pulled over to the side when I reached the lights to allow room for him at the front. We both had a bit of a chuckle when I pointed out how much the drivers hated him for filtering and a short discussion followed of which one of us they hated more. :laugh:

I still think it's him, obviously. :becool:

Jump the train and get out the city, especially if you aren't commuting and just out to enjoy leisure rides. Life's too short. :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

I rarely get upset by what other people are doing these days, I ride assertively get on with my trip and let them get on with theirs, I have to ride across Coventry to get out in the countryside, but most of the time I do it before or after the rush hour.

Top Bottom