So slow and....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just moved from Firefox to Chrome and that was about 10 seconds too!

ColinJ

I'll just switch machines again.... (It is daft that I am still using this ancient Dell rather than my shiny new Lenovo, but the keyboard on this one is superb, as opposed to 'tolerable'!)

ColinJ

Consistent results on both machines. NP on CC is so slow that I think the trackpad hasn't registered my click, but when I look up I see that whirligig thing showing that it is loading, it just takes an age!

Shaun

Founder
I'll rebuild the search database now. Any search should average around 3ms (searching 1.4GB of data). I'll post once it has rebuilt. Let me know if there is any difference afterwards.

ColinJ

Ah, Recent Posts is slow too!

If I go into a massive thread like 'Your Ride Today' it is lovely and quick when clicking links at random.

Oh, BTW - the top level Search failed to find 'Your Ride Today', I had to use advanced search. Also, when a search fails and I use the browser back button, I have to enter an entire new search to edit it. The old software used to keep the search details so I could edit them.

There was one other thing, now what was it...?

Oh yes, I think I mentioned it elsewhere - when I click 'Ignore Thread', the page doesn't refresh so I think it hasn't picked up the click. I try again and I get an 'Oops' message saying that I have already ignored the thread.

Shaun

Founder
Oh yes, I think I mentioned it elsewhere - when I click 'Ignore Thread', the page doesn't refresh so I think it hasn't picked up the click. I try again and I get an 'Oops' message saying that I have already ignored the thread.
This is a quirk of JSON (if you refresh the page it updates the label); when I mentioned this behaviour to the developers they didn't see any benefit to adding code just to get around updating the label as it'll update when you navigate to another page or away/back to the thread.

Shaun

Founder
Oh, BTW - the top level Search failed to find 'Your Ride Today', I had to use advanced search. Also, when a search fails and I use the browser back button, I have to enter an entire new search to edit it. The old software used to keep the search details so I could edit them.
That's probably because the thread was started in 2008, which won't feature in the recent weighting algorithm. :whistle:

ColinJ

This is a quirk of JSON (if you refresh the page it updates the label); when I mentioned this behaviour to the developers they didn't see any benefit to adding code just to get around updating the label as it'll update when you navigate to another page or away/back to the thread.
Strange - I would have thought that a label telling you the truth about what you have just done IS rather beneficial! :laugh:

ColinJ

That'll do me for for now - I want to spend a while working on my latest fledgling puzzle game before turning in.

I'll check the forum speed again tomorrow to see if the search database rebuild helped.

@Tanis8472 - try selecting the new Compact style (bottom left - next to the brush icon) which has smaller fonts and reduced padding.

As to the speed - can you please clear your browser cache; turn your device off and then on again (to completely restart all your apps/browser); and let me know if this site is slow or not (in comparison to CC): http://cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

Thanks.

That other site is snappy.
But then it's not querying a database
Is the database on the same server or remote?
It can make a big difference.

I'm viewing this from a factory reset mobile at the moment so cache is clean.

On laptop, I've used Firefox, chrome, ie, chromium on both windows 7 and Linux mint.

Same results.

Top Bottom