So, this Ditchling Beacon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BLAKEY063

HeyWayne said:
Well, did it in one! Just fixed my eyes on the back wheel of the dude in front (thank you, you'll never know how much you helped). Only had to shout WALKERS KEEP LEFT!!! once, and in some places I wasn't going much faster than the walkers, but got to the top in one go.

Got quite emotional I don't mind admitting. I think I'd set it up in my mind it was going to be tough, but beat it.
Well done that man!! Took me 2 attempts before I cleared it. Still takes me about 15 minutes though. Managed 48 mph down the other side though.

Rebel Ian

This time was my third at DB. First time, on L2B last year, I did it without stopping. On the Martlets night ride in March I was shattered before I even started climbing it and convinced myself I wouldn't make it. Had to stop a couple of times. This year on the L2B I found it easier than the previous times and got up fine. A lot of DB to me is psychological.

BLAKEY063

Rebel Ian said:
This time was my third at DB. First time, on L2B last year, I did it without stopping. On the Martlets night ride in March I was shattered before I even started climbing it and convinced myself I wouldn't make it. Had to stop a couple of times. This year on the L2B I found it easier than the previous times and got up fine. A lot of DB to me is psychological.

Very psychological.. when you get about half way up the trees disappear, you have the view to the left, and you think you are at the top...until you turn the next corner and it all covers up again and up you go again.

dodgy said:
It has a reputation mainly because of the amount of novices who tackle it on the London to Brighton ride (and good on them for it), these same novices go on to regail their friends of what a brute it was.
It really does pale into insignificance when compared with other climbs in the UK.
But as a test for a novice, it's a great climb.

I don't think I have ever been a good hill climber...even now although I did get up it in 1993 on a very basic ten gear bike.Doubt whether I could get up there as fast as that now....In 1993 I didn't know anything about the hill.

ramses

Yeah, it's not all that bad. I tackled it this year, first time I'd seen it, and was feeling a bit daunted by what I had heard about this "Killer Hill", but to be honest it wasn't that bad.

Phrases like "a wall of tarmac" can put you off a bit, but I cycled up it, and like any good hill, it takes a little out of you, but then you have the joy of belting it down to Brighton once you've cleared it.

Hope you enjoyed the ride and got up the hill!

Davidc

Guru
I used to do it regularly when I lived down there, but that was 30 years ago. I found it a strenuous climb but always got there.

Don't know about the northern C2C hills, but I don't think Ditchling is any better or worse than the beasts round here - Burrington Coombe and Blagdon Hill.

Next time I have one of my bikes at my mother's I'll think about going down to Brighton and trying it again and report back!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Zombie thread alert!!!

I went through the Peak District a couple of weeks ago and DB is nothing when compared to the climbs in the High Peak.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Monks road = ouch but beautiful once you're over that rise - hope it was clear?
To be honest by that point, various schoolboy errors like running out of water meant I was past caring about the view. It was just attrition by that point. Looking at the map though I think that's where I almost asked at a farm for water (in fact if you zoom in you can see my route double back) so I do remember a vista as I rounded the bend. It got worse after that to be honest.

I have unfinished business with the Peak District and will be going back. In fact SWMBO actually feels my lack of accomplishment and has granted me a pass to ride back up there.

betty swollocks

large member
Ditchling Beacon is not so bad.
One year on the London to Brighton I cycled up it on my 'bent eating a ninety-niner.
it really isn't that bad - honest.

Yellow7

Über Member
Made me laugh doing that on the london to brighton, there was a T-shirt seller half-way up saying "I've climbed ditchling beacon", hardly if you've stopped [half-way up] to said shirt!

Top Bottom