So, this Ditchling Beacon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
HeyWayne said:
Only had to shout WALKERS KEEP LEFT!!! once,

HeyWayne, were these walkers cyclists pushing their bikes or walkers walking up the Beacon on the road?

If the former then, I guess, fine, if the latter well... I think shouting at peds is pretty bad form and would not like to think what my response might be were I said walker :laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dodgy said:
Sad news, no idea if the chap was a novice or not.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10362762.stm

Tragedy for someone.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

GregCollins said:
HeyWayne, were these walkers cyclists pushing their bikes or walkers walking up the Beacon on the road?

If the former then, I guess, fine, if the latter well... I think shouting at peds is pretty bad form and would not like to think what my response might be were I said walker ;)

Former - participants in the event.

I'd not shout at a walker.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tynan said:
Watching the likes of will doing it three times and the chaps on fixies cruising up is quite the humbling eye opener
If you were humbled by that, you need to come oop north and ride behind longers as he goes up this 20+% climb on his fixed gear bike! It's even more humbling when he does a little trackstand halfway up, looks round at the scenery and then just carries on! ;)

dnrc

Veteran
That's a shame. I went through at that time and saw that guy. He was a few hundred yards up the hill and was being given gas and air when i saw him.

I thought he looked in a pretty bad way at that point.

RIP

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can somebody post Google maps links to the start and finish of the Ditchling climb? I did the L2B years ago and I'm not sure if I have the legs these days. I need to know the nature of the beast.

Awful news about the rider. Very sad.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Deeply sad news. Thoughts go to family and friends.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HeyWayne said:
Well, did it in one! Just fixed my eyes on the back wheel of the dude in front (thank you, you'll never know how much you helped). Only had to shout WALKERS KEEP LEFT!!! once, and in some places I wasn't going much faster than the walkers, but got to the top in one go.

Got quite emotional I don't mind admitting. I think I'd set it up in my mind it was going to be tough, but beat it.

Well done!
Actually, with a bit of room to manoever, it's not too bad a hill really.

Very sad about the guy who died though. It happens.:rofl:

Will1985

Über Member
slowmotion said:
Can somebody post Google maps links to the start and finish of the Ditchling climb? I did the L2B years ago and I'm not sure if I have the legs these days. I need to know the nature of the beast.
Starts at the crossroad with Underhill Lane, then ends when you reach the top - the "finish" line has something to do with either the car park entrances or the posts on the left.

Map here

Top Bottom