SO! This how I start Every Sentence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Is it just me or is there a growing tendency for people to start their sentences with so. Every news interview goes the same way: " What are your party going to do about the NHS?" "So, we will blah blah blah" It really pull my chain!

I've noticed it a lot too. In particular when academic types are being interviewed. I'm convinced that in their case its simply a way of speaking inherited from lecturers who remove themselves (and emotion) from the answer by starting with "so", almost as if they are answering in the third person.

It also seems to illustrate genuine consideration, which is why I suspect political types are adopting it.

I use it myself as a deliberate vehicle when confirming facts and setting actions in meetings...it seems to make people listen almost like saying "right, now this is the Interesting bit".

Its all about the inflection on the word, its a passive "so" not an assertive one.
Its a "so... if I understand correctly" not a "so, therefore I command you..."

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yep, having said that, what has one said?
I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
"I have to say" is my bugbear. Former turnip turned Radio 5 football pundit Graham 'I have to say' Taylor says it all the time.

If you have to say it Graham just bloody say it without the preamble !

Sara_H

Guru
What I would say to that is, that people who begin a sentence with the phrase "what I would say to that is" are about to say something unpleasant whilst at the same time distancing themselves from their own opinion.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3529031, member: 259"]It's not just confined to English speakers. French people say "Donk".[/QUOTE]
D'accord; oui d'accord!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3529031, member: 259"]It's not just confined to English speakers. French people say "Donk".[/QUOTE]
I would have compared it more with ''Alors...'' and, though my German isn't very strong, with ''Also...''

Once they're in the language, it's quite hard to imagine them going away. For the moment it seems to serve notice that a fairly elaborate argument or at least structured thought is to follow. The more it's used, though, I think it will lose that connotation and will no longer mean anything more than if the phrase began with ''Right....'' or ''Ok....''

gbb

Legendary Member
Politicians that have just been asked a (no doubt very scritped) question on a news program for instance, you'll often hear them reply...'Thats a very good question...blah blah blah'
No....I'll decide wether its a very good question...not you matey boy :angry: :laugh:

Top Bottom