SO! This how I start Every Sentence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Politicians that have just been asked a (no doubt very scritped) question on a news program for instance, you'll often hear them reply...'Thats a very good question...blah blah blah'
No....I'll decide wether its a very good question...not you matey boy :angry: :laugh:
THe only time I ever heard a politician utter that phrase where it actually worked was when Wolf Blitzer asked Bill Clinton a brilliantly crafted question during the Monica Lewinsky scandal. It was ingeniously worded in a way that offered no wiggle room. Clinton stared at him in thoughtful silence for a few seconds then broke into a gentle laugh and said: Man, that is Good. That is really good!

He never answered it of course, but in a way he did and his acknowledgement of the question's brilliance was wonderfully honest.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
"What I'd like to say is..." Just say it, for God's sake.

And that's another one, "For God's sake". I mean, if he exists at all why is it for his sake?

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 3529031, member: 259"]It's not just confined to English speakers. French people say "Donk".[/QUOTE]
You know what you wanna do with that, right?

robjh

Legendary Member
Is it just me or is there a growing tendency for people to start their sentences with so. Every news interview goes the same way: " What are your party going to do about the NHS?" "So, we will blah blah blah" It really pull my chain!
Yes there is. An amazing number of people do it when interviewed on radio or TV, and it's still new enough that we notice it. However I've only met one person who regularly does it in normal conversation.

robjh

Legendary Member
So, who is that?
So, he's a colleague's husband. He's an army officer but I don't imagine starting sentences with 'so' is part of the training.

D

Deleted member 23692

So.... in terms of.... going forward

The 3 things we count the use of in meetings at work

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by and the King who ruled them had courage and greatness" - what a daft start. If it had been better worded it could been a best seller

Last edited:
1. Starting a sentence with "I mean..." annoys me, as I haven't asked them to clarify what they are saying

2. Adding a 'me' to the end of a spoken sentence; "I like Fish & Chips, me" It has already been suffixed in order to identify the speaker

3. Calling a child, for example, "Our Amelia", My wife does this with our daughter, is this in order to differentiate with another Amelia living under the same roof, so I know which one she is referring to?

Top Bottom