so what would you have…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Throw me in a skip for all i care.
After all il be dead.
But if i had to choose inside a big speaker.

ChrisKH

Guru
I wouldn't. I'm being cremated and want to go in the cheapest and most environmentally friendly box I can find. By all means decorate it in my absence, but even that seems a bit of a waste given it has no future.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I want to be buried as cheaply as poss basically (cardboard coffin etc) but if I was t choose one, I'd go for a big banana, or a 1950s gaz-guzzling America motor.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I want to be cremated, and I'd like a wicker basket, but I think the designs are a great idea.

Perhaps I could have a cheapo coffin and a wicker design sticker!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would be in two minds about this.
A part of me would want to have something that would be forever and that would allow me to be rediscovered after a few thousand years and be a part of future archeology.
Another part of me thinks I should have a cheap recycled cardboard box and be placed lovingly into a biomass burner.

Anyway, I am hoping it shouldn't be an issue for at least another few hundred years [crosses fingers and hopes really hard].

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train, you could compromise. One day 'they' might find the remains of a small polished wooden box (perhaps just hinges and lock), and inside it the carcase of an old Sturmey 3 speed hub, fashioned into a container with a specially machined base and lid, and inside that, a small portion of the ashes of my late boyfriend.

At some point we're going to scatter the rest in various special places to carry away on the wind, incorporate into the soil and so on...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arch, I'm sorry for your loss.;)

My late brother was a rock climber, that was his life outside of working to pay for it. We scattered his ashes on Tryfan in Snowdonia to be free in the wind and the rocks that he loved so much and then donated all his climbing kit to the Snowdonia mountain rescue so that it could continue to be used for the good. When I go to 'visit' I see the birds and the sheep and the daffodils we planted and feel that a part of him is always there.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Puts me in mind of "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off". He organised his own coffin, complete with an engraving of a tin of baked beans. His thinking was it would provoke discussion at his funeral: "What's the significance of the baked beans?"

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thank you, Night Train. And I'm sorry for your brother.

But you can mitigate it, as you say - people are where you think of them, I think. So that can be everywhere, all the time, or just in a special place.

This poem sums it up well. I don't normally go in for mawkishness, but I like this....

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
Thank you, Night Train. And I'm sorry for your brother.

But you can mitigate it, as you say - people are where you think of them, I think. So that can be everywhere, all the time, or just in a special place.

This poem sums it up well. I don't normally go in for mawkishness, but I like this....

Yes, very appropriate Arch. My Mum had that one at her final service. I'm glad I didn't have to read it, I wouldn't have finished.

Top Bottom