so what would you have…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andharwheel

'Puts me in mind of "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off". He organised his own coffin, complete with an engraving of a tin of baked beans. His thinking was it would provoke discussion at his funeral: "What's the significance of the baked beans?"
My all time favourite documentary: his positive attitude to everything including death. I have already told everyone I know that I just want a carboard coffin with a tree planted. No gravestone.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Yes, very appropriate Arch. My Mum had that one at her final service. I'm glad I didn't have to read it, I wouldn't have finished.

I know what you mean. Although I was amazed at how well I and his Mum and his friends managed to talk at my Bfs funeral. Thinking about it now, I don't know if I could stand up and read the same eulogy, but somehow the adrenaline or something got us through.

20 or so of us even managed to cycle back from the crem to the wake, which was fitting.

I'm a great believer in having plans for your funeral, and saying so. It made it so much easier to choose music knowing it was his choice and so on...

That poem, Arch, is indeed a fine one!

As and when it's my turn, I'd like this to be read out at my service;

I walk this way but once,

and any good I can do or any kindness I can show

to any creature or human being

let me do it now.

Let me not delay or neglect it

for I will not walk this way again.

Seems to more or less sum up my feelings!

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
I know what you mean. Although I was amazed at how well I and his Mum and his friends managed to talk at my Bfs funeral. Thinking about it now, I don't know if I could stand up and read the same eulogy, but somehow the adrenaline or something got us through.

20 or so of us even managed to cycle back from the crem to the wake, which was fitting.

I'm a great believer in having plans for your funeral, and saying so. It made it so much easier to choose music knowing it was his choice and so on...

Absolutely in agreement. In this context I want my family (assuming I outlive them) to put me to rest, scatter the ashes and forget about me. Spend my money, have a good time. Not live the rest of their lives thinking about what they did or didn't say in my lifetime. My legacy hopefully is that they don't need me. Then I will know I have got it right.

Possibly.

Cremated in a cardboard coffin covered in Police 'Do Not Open' tape and 'Hazardous Waste' symbols or body parts carried into the crematorium in Tesco recycling carrier bags.

I plan to leave enough money behind to ensure the mourners have the mother of all hangovers the next day. Plus I want to pre-book the DJ to play only my favourite 7" singles. They might forget my features but they won't forget the funeral!

postman

Legendary Member
Ashes to Ashes.

My dear old dad.His ashes went over the cliff at Ravenscar he just loved the place.I will be cycling past him again this summer as part of the Whitby-Scarb-Whitby Rail Trail we have planned.All off road.

Noodley

People can do what the hell they want when I'm dead. Nothing if they want. Makes no difference to me.

Trillian

i've often joked that i'd want a plain coffin, no brass rails or anything, just thought i'd have everyone sign it in permanent marker, giving them a way of saying goodbye

i want to be taken from the service in the firebox of a steam traction engine.

after that, i'm gone they're off for a party to reminisce about times past

ashes scatted from the top of the old man of coniston when a south easterly headed wind is blowing to carry my ashes into the coniston / coppermines valley

domtyler

Über Member
dmoan said:
Cremated in a cardboard coffin covered in Police 'Do Not Open' tape and 'Hazardous Waste' symbols or body parts carried into the crematorium in Tesco recycling carrier bags.

I plan to leave enough money behind to ensure the mourners have the mother of all hangovers the next day. Plus I want to pre-book the DJ to play only my favourite 7" singles. They might forget my features but they won't forget the funeral!

Sounds good, can I come? ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
When me Dad died, he was cremated and his ashes were on the mantlepiece for a while.

One afternoon, my two brothers and I decided to take his ashes and scatter half of them atop Indain's Head, a hill in saddleworth- a place he and we loved dearly. Apart from choking on his ashes in the back-blowing wind, It was a good day, with humour, beer and semi-nakedness. I took the other half of his ashes home, with the intention of putting him in the garden or park or something.

That night, I had my first (and only) migraine. I was crippled. couldn't move. Never had one since.

Woke up to find we'd (my sister and I; we were looking after his house at the time) been burgled. The cheeky smackhead little fuc&s, along with a bit of money and trinkets, had stolen the other half of my dad that I had left in the rucksack. bugger.

A sad story to some, but for some reason, still makes me laugh. me Dad would have laughed at the thought of some little nob trying to smoke his ashes or something.

Got the bastards back though.

Top Bottom