So who’s the best band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I have always loved Pink Floyd and Sabbath, but probably the band I listen to consistently after all these years is Free. For me, they had it all, the greatest rock singer, a very underrated blues guitarist and a fantastic base player.

Drago

Legendary Member
Out if the two, the Beatles. Not to say the Stones haben't done some damn fine work over the years.

I have Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and Rush tattoos (among others) andnhave considered getting a Stones rubber lips tattoo.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Fair comment but many bands who came in after in the pre and post 2000s did not and have not endured like these did.
TBF the 2000s were a horrendous decade for what you might call conventional guitar music. But since I guess the 80s with technology improving and getting cheaper, music production has become more democratised and whole new genres are appearing all the time. I do wonder if now that recording, sampling and synthesising has become so cheap and easy that we're missing out on the innovation which comes from exploring the limitations of what's possible with the equipment at your disposal but I guess we'll see.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Should the title of the thread not be "So who's the best band if you gave up on listening to new music some time in the 80's"?

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the bands mentioned so far, or liking them.
It's utterly beyond me how this forum doesn't attract a younger membership.
I'm sure there will be a forum, or more likely a FaceBoak page somewhere, discussing the merits of Ed Sheeran, or Blur v Oasis; but I haven't found it yet. And if I do, I won't be hanging around for long!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oasis, nuff said !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Should the title of the thread not be "So who's the best band if you gave up on listening to new music some time in the 80's"?

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the bands mentioned so far, or liking them.

I think the Old people need their own separate thread. :laugh: Bit like the Retirement one - "Best music you remember before you started dribbling from both ends ?" :whistle::whistle:

:tongue:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After Paul McCartney said the Stones are just a “ blues cover band” Roger Daltry (age 77) has now claimed the Jagger fronted line up are a “ mediocre pub band” and if you heard their music coming out of a pub you’d think thats “a mediocre pub band”.
So, what do you think? Is that true or did the contemporary bands of that era like Pink Floyd, The Animals, Led Zeppelin have more to offer musically?
I think he could be right. I saw the Stones live twice in 1982. I was swept away by 'fan hysteria', but on hindsight I found them to be average. Jagger and Richards as we all know wrote some great songs, but live, to me it's more of a show with necessary backing musicians than an actual 'great performance'.

I saw a Rolling Stones tribute band at Clitheroe's The Grand about 12 years ago and they were much better than the real thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom