So, who's at fault.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not wishing to seem interfering, would it not be thoughtful to mask the car registration plate...esp on a public forum...

Why? What can we do with it?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I could see this one been a 50/50. You was aware what might happen, went into cautious mode, bled off your speed but still managed to get your wheel crushed? Hope she just gives you £100 cash.

Good day.

How could it possibly be 50/50?

Linford

[QUOTE 2846760, member: 45"]I'm afraid that no you don't. You're still coming at it from the wrong angle.

Approach a door at work with someone else on the other side. Do you spend hours arguing with yourself about whether you should have priority to get through first and then make your way, giving two fingers to the other person if they should dare to intrude on your territory? Or do you hold it open for them? Which is the better interaction? Which leaves you feeling good about yourself and which makes you angry. Attitude linfy, attitude.

Your light flashing example is about warning. It has nothing to do with road ownership and is as irrelevant as a poorly kangaroo.[/quote]
Can't see any relevance with your door in work example. We are discussing priority in law on the highway... which is relevant to the op

Milzy

Guru
How could it possibly be 50/50?
Because you have a duty of self preservation & the OP thought, ''I better be careful here'' & they ''STILL'' ended up under the wheel''. Going back to the holding a door open thing, that's how it should have been in this situation. I make eye contact with the driver & make sure they'll wait for me to go past. Lucky it's just a wheel & not injuries.

potsy

Rambler
In which case the OP should definitely notify the police.
Assuming it's not just a blip on the database you'd think they would want to keep a low profile and not risk the police getting involved.
I would give the 'driver' one more chance to pay up and if they don't then make use of the cycle insurance to chase it.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Because you have a duty of self preservation & the OP thought, ''I better be careful here'' & they ''STILL'' ended up under the wheel''. Going back to the holding a door open thing, that's how it should have been in this situation. I make eye contact with the driver & make sure they'll wait for me to go past. Lucky it's just a wheel & not injuries.

Ah, OK. I thought you were suggesting the driver was somehow not 100% at fault.

Wobblers

Euthermic
So nothing more than pedantery then ?

Uh, no. Pedantry is pointing out when someone's spelled "pedantry" with two e's. (Sorry, open goal there, I just couldn't resist it :smile:)

"Priority" means that one party has precedence in a situation - but they still have the absolute obligation to avoid accidents and collisions. That's why the expression "right of way" isn't used - to ensure that the idea that you must give way when required is communicated. Sadly, this is a concept that all too few road users (not just motorists) seem to be unaware of.

Top Bottom