So...who's been shot at on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Happened today...pop of an air rifle from behind a hedge and heard pellet hit the trees on the other side of the road. Crap shot, forgot to lead the target :laugh:

Also happened years ago on a CTC ride near Tetbury. One of the old guys said "you're not a real cyclist until you've been shot at."

Slick

Guru
Happened today...pop of an air rifle from behind a hedge and heard pellet hit the trees on the other side of the road. Crap shot, forgot to lead the target :laugh:

Also happened years ago on a CTC ride near Tetbury. One of the old guys said "you're not a real cyclist until you've been shot at."
I hope this was reported?

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, riding past a field where a clay shoot was going on, got peppered a bit with with shot gun pellets, to be fair it was a massively windy day and the guys were not shooting at us.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I hope this was reported?
I'm doing it now. Hopefully some stupid kid will get a drubbing down. Unless it's a 999 event, reporting something like this on a Sunday is pretty leisurely. Even 101 is only any good in office hours.

About 10 years ago, riding up a short but stiff climb up to West Quantoxhead, field sloped away to my left, whilst on right hand side, ground was considerably higher than the lane I was on, and full of shrub and trees.

I heard a commotion from my right, up back in the tree line, at which point a line of "guns" that I hadn't seen, fires below me to my left, over my head at those incredibly dangerous, man-eating pheasants that had been courageously "beaten" into flight from my right.

Got to say, that was the quickest I had ever got up that hill, and I've never come close to that time again.

contadino

Veteran
Not sure if it counts, but I used to have shot rain down on me regularly in Italy.

Although I once made the mistake of going for a ride on the first day of the hunting season in Normandy. Far too many old fellas out with shotguns and flasks of calvados. The shot wasn't so much raining down as peppering the surroundings.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I used to go fishing at a place that was sandwiched between a farm and the M1 motorway. Sometimes the farm hands would amuse themselves at lunchtime by doing a bit of pigeon shooting and they often got a bit carried away and not pay attention to the direction they were facing. The farm was on a hill and the fishery was in a valley next to it. There was no real danger though because they were so much higher than us that the small bits of lead shot would just fall like rain around us. It was quite amusing actually.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Only been shot at twice, as far as I know, and only hit once, with a 177 airgun pellet. Didn't catch the culprit, but I hope I scared him enough not to try it again.
Some other posts here remind me that anglers were vilified in the 70s when it was found that wildfowl were suffering from lead poisoning, and the finger was pointed at anglers' use of split shot. From personal experience on the banks of the Witham, where discarded shotgun cartridges littered the ground, knowing that anglers didn't waste it if they could help it, and that the X-rays of affected wildfowl didn't indicate that the offending shot was split, I was fairly sure where the blame lay. Use of split shot in fishing weights was outlawed in 1987, although nearly all anglers had switched to safer, and much more expensive, alternatives many years earlier, and barely lost an ounce of them in a year's fishing, as opposed to more than an ounce of lead shot every time a shotgun was fired. Well, colour me astonished. The shooting community are still discussing whether to stop using lead in commercial shotgun cartridges.
https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammunition/alternatives-to-lead-shot-108456
Of course, the die-hard shooters who load their own cartridges will continue using lead shot for the foreseeable future.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Back when I was a student I was standing on the outside windowsill of a first floor flat, like you do. I was shot in the leg - big bruise on my thigh. Could have been worse. They could have hit the window. Wasn't my flat.

Landsurfer

Veteran
This is most likely an Armed Trespass event.... £200 or 6 months imprisionment ... or OABH ... at least Transient Assault ... A definite job for "Inspector Knacker" ...

Top Bottom