So...who's been shot at on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Still use lead shot in my shotgun.

You sure ? Mostly steel, tungsten or bismuth these days ....

DRM

Guru
I'm doing it now. Hopefully some stupid kid will get a drubbing down. Unless it's a 999 event, reporting something like this on a Sunday is pretty leisurely. Even 101 is only any good in office hours.
To me deliberately shooting at someone is very serious & is a 999 event, you could have been seriously injured, even as teenagers in the Air Training Corps it was drilled into us when on the range that you only point a loaded weapon at someone you fully intend to kill, no mincing of words, and not doing as you were told meant you never got to do shooting again, no if's, no buts, no excuses.

midlife

Guru
Back when I was a student I was standing on the outside windowsill of a first floor flat, like you do. I was shot in the leg - big bruise on my thigh. Could have been worse. They could have hit the window. Wasn't my flat.

Back in the 70's and 80's when I lived in London there was a spate of air rifle shootings in my area where windows were shot at and broken If no one came the shooter guessed it was empty and burgled it..... So plod said

When I was a kid it seemed that everybody had a gat and shot at almost everything, low power and zero accuracy meant nobody got too badly hurt!!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My front wheel was hit by a golf ball on Shetland a couple of years ago. This was next to a golf course and must have been deliberate as nobody could have been so incompetent as slice at right angles to the fairway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My front wheel was hit by a golf ball on Shetland a couple of years ago. This was next to a golf course and must have been deliberate as nobody could have been so incompetent as slice at right angles to the fairway.

Don't be so sure, some golfers are really crap. I used to work with quite a few who used to go on and on about how good they were, until I asked what handicap - high teens and never got better. Worked with another guy that didn't say much about his golf, knew he played a far bit so asked him what his handicap was - I was expecting high single digit. 'Erm scratch' was his answer - very modest fella.

Slick

Guru
Your kidding. :eek:

I skinned one so thin on a par 3, that it hit a rock and flew behind me hitting the roof of a low lying 2 storey house behind me. There was a guy in the garden sunbathing and looked at me, thought the exact same thing as you, and started shouting at a group behind me. :laugh:

I have a number of stories that get worse. Lol

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Your kidding. :eek:

I skinned one so thin on a par 3, that it hit a rock and flew behind me hitting the roof of a low lying 2 storey house behind me. There was a bit in the garden sunbathing and looked at me, thought the exact same thing as you, and started shouting at a group behind me. :laugh:

I have a number of stories that get worse. Lol
I tried golf but gave it up so I do believe anything is possible.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Happened today...pop of an air rifle from behind a hedge and heard pellet hit the trees on the other side of the road. Crap shot, forgot to lead the target :laugh:

Where did this happen?

Sussex police are appealing for witnesses to two airgun shootings in July, one of which has left a 65 yr old cyclist seriously injured.
Such incidents should be reported as a matter of urgency since the consequences can be fatal.

"Police are appealing for witnesses after a cyclist was seriously injured in St Leonards.
The 65-year-old man was cycling along Bexhill Road around 6.20pm on Friday (July 10) when he was hit by a ball bearing near to the junction with Harley Shute Road.
He suffered a head injury and was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.
The following day, on Saturday (July 11), a 37-year-old man contacted police to report he had been hit with a pellet from a BB gun, fired by a man in a passing vehicle.
This happened around 12.30pm on Mount Pleasant Road in Hastings, and did not result in serious injury."

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Only if been shot with a water pistol counts....I hope it was water anyway :eek:. Still enough to make me communicate my displeasure to the occupants of the vehicle.

Slick

Guru
I tried golf but gave it up so I do believe anything is possible.
I won't bore you and this will be my last one but on my current course the second runs along side a road. On my first medal I with locals, I asked if anyone had hit the road, and the answer I got had me laughing. He said, ffs son, hit the road, half they bams have hit the effing train. :laugh::laugh:

The railway line ran alongside the road about another 100 yards wider. :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My grandfather was shooting crows in about 1917 when ha was home on leave - he was using his .303 army rifle, as you do. Unfortunately the bullets were landing in a field some 2 miles away frightening his neighbour's horse which was pulling a plough. Thankfully neither horse nor ploughman were hit, but full sized rifle bullets do come down at enough speed to kill even at a couple of miles away. Goes to show that the calm, sensible and cautious old gentleman I remember was just as stupid as the rest of us in his youth.

A related story from 30 odd years later concerned a girl in a nearby village killed by a bullet from an aircraft which landed vertically down through the poor girl's head. Not clear if it was fired during practice or in combat. Incredibly bad luck, but tragic for all that

Last edited:
Top Bottom