So who's been

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I haven't been keeping up with the news recently and didn't know I should/should not be panicing.:tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's OK...my Local Co-op hasn't run out of wine yet...happy days....... no potatoes, no bread......, some cat food, so those three are OK....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I did the weekly shopping today, a day early in anticipation of foul weather tomorrow. I accidentally bought a totally unnecessary bottle of vodka.

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
It's interesting to recall earlier panic-buying occasions and the way people behaved. Way back in the 1970s I remember a bread crisis (was it a strike or something? perhaps someone can remember). Anyway there I was at the supermarket, they seemed to have none of the fancy or quality loaves left, just uniform packets of pasty white sliced left on the shelf - and customers were piling their trolleys high with this junk, until the supermarket limited everyone to one loaf per trolley.

At the time I think my parents were talking about it being a strike. My Mum tried to make bread instead, and it was at this point that we found she was incapable of producing anything more edible in the bread line than a brick... My father made a label for her first offering, it read "Mother's Cried. Fine white Dread".

I think there was also disruption to bread supplies when the powercuts were happening in the 70s too, because of the ovens. And there was more of all of it in Belfast, because apart from the regular winters of discontent, we had people going off in sectarian huffs.

I spoke to Mum last night, fortunately she'd already stocked the freezer in regular fashion just before Christmas. She has no bread, but does have pittas, crumpets, muffins and croissants.... For her, it's not so much a panic of things running out, but not wanting to go out if it's icy. I've said if it goes on too long, I'll post her a loaf a slice at a time...:tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No panic buying but we did go out to get milk yesterday - but we were down to 2 bottles which somehow can disappear very quickly in our household (porridge, cereal - some in the family have 3 bowls of the stuff). And we were out of bread so bought some but we have plenty of flour to make bread - but the bought stuff is easier to make sandwiches out of.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
No panic buying here. At the moment the freezer is full of milk and bread - so we're fine as long as there isn't a power cut.

Mind you, if there is a power cut we can just bury it all in the snow!

I go shopping around Ross every couple of days anyway, and the small local shops I use all seem to be well stocked. I couldn't care less if the supermarket runs out of everything, I wouldn't shop in there.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Baggy said:
No panic buying here. At the moment the freezer is full of milk and bread - so we're fine as long as there isn't a power cut.

Mind you, if there is a power cut we can just bury it all in the snow!

Or make a huge bread and butter pudding. Unless your oven is electric.

Reminder to self. Buy meths in case of powercut. No point having a Trangia without it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Not trying to be contrary. :sad: Not only have I not been panic-buying any bread (from the Baker, not the supermarket) but I may have to give away some of my bread that is in the freezer. My neighbour asked me to get her some bread, and mature cheddar. She is elderly and not too steady on her legs, and has a cold, but apart from that she is fine.

No bread left at the bakers. :laugh: So I possibly need to give her some sliced bread. Then I will buy some yeast and make some bread rolls. However, my bread-making skills are not well enough practiced to make bread for anyone else. :biggrin:;) Are rolls easier to get wrong turn out like bricks turn out Ok than loaves?

Despite temperatures here last night of 16 degrees below freezing, the milkman (remember them) delivered milk this morning. He obviously tried to guess how much extra milk I would need to last until Monday. He must be shortening his daily route, in order to get to everyone twice a week, instead of three times a week.

Top Bottom