So who's been

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Panic buying food and other supplies then, leaving the rest of the people in your area hungry?

Are you just going to throw away half the stuff you have bought after the snow has gone and when they are beyond the sell by date?

Why do people do this, are they really that stupid? :tongue:

I panic bought chocolate eclairs last night, but got through them all within 5 minutes. Am having trouble moving back to a healthy diet after christmas. I actually wake up in middle of the night with choc cravings. grrrr

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I bought 5 bottles of milk today!

Although they were little 1 pint ones as the tesco express had sold out of every milk other than about a dozen 1 pint ones.

5 pints lasts around a day and a half in our house.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
You could switch to dark chocolate, I struggle eat a big bar of that stuff. It is nice though....

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
I'm really glad that this forum isn't full of silly people who panic about everything. I wouldn't be able to show my face on the site again if it you all were. :tongue:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Although panic buying definitely goes on, bread runs out at many supermarkets in perfectly normal weather, it happens much more frequently than people are led to believe. It's just how logistics is.

One of the things that annoys me about the news is many of us are fine and won't die of starvation or anything like that through minor inconveniences but there are people that are a lot more vulnerable out there.

TVC

No panic in our house, but Mrs VC says that the local Coop is almost stripped bare after she went in to get a pint of milk this evening. I am glad to report that they did have chocolate and a decent bottle of Viognier, so we are fine for tonight.

I'm off to fill the car tomorrow (because it needs doing), when I get back I might try to start an internet rumour that petrol is running out, just to see how long the queues get. :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

It's interesting to recall earlier panic-buying occasions and the way people behaved. Way back in the 1970s I remember a bread crisis (was it a strike or something? perhaps someone can remember). Anyway there I was at the supermarket, they seemed to have none of the fancy or quality loaves left, just uniform packets of pasty white sliced left on the shelf - and customers were piling their trolleys high with this junk, until the supermarket limited everyone to one loaf per trolley.

I (smugly) wasn't involved, seeing as I'd already learned how to make my own by that time. So instead I stocked up on flour, which was in plentiful supply. It seemed that folks then couldn't make the simple equation flour+water+yeast = bread. Ah well....

So back to today. Well we needed a few things which had run out, like cheese and tinned tomatoes, so off to the supermarket this morning (on foot: me a bit wobbly still suffering the after-effects of a bad cold and still off work). We decided that we might run out of fresh veg. since the weekly Riverford box hadn't turned up the day before, so Mrs P picked up some nice-looking leeks that she fancied.

When we got home the Riverford box was there waiting for us, and in it were - you guessed it! - leeks. So now: what to do with rather a lot of leeks...:tongue:

rusky

CC Addict
Wifey went shopping Monday for a normal shop so we're OK.

I would be panic buying studded tyres if I could find anywhere with stock!!!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
My M-I-L spent £94 on food for her and Frank yesterday- she does it every time there's a panic on about something or other. A couple of years ago (i can't remember what the scare du jour was) but she ended up buying five of them water chiller sized bottles of water:headshake:

Never mind though- a lot of it ends up inside me eventually :tongue:(like i'm desperate)

TVC

661-Pete said:
It's interesting to recall earlier panic-buying occasions and the way people behaved. Way back in the 1970s I remember a bread crisis (was it a strike or something? perhaps someone can remember). Anyway there I was at the supermarket, they seemed to have none of the fancy or quality loaves left, just uniform packets of pasty white sliced left on the shelf - and customers were piling their trolleys high with this junk, until the supermarket limited everyone to one loaf per trolley.

I (smugly) wasn't involved, seeing as I'd already learned how to make my own by that time. So instead I stocked up on flour, which was in plentiful supply. It seemed that folks then couldn't make the simple equation flour+water+yeast = bread. Ah well....

So back to today. Well we needed a few things which had run out, like cheese and tinned tomatoes, so off to the supermarket this morning (on foot: me a bit wobbly still suffering the after-effects of a bad cold and still off work). We decided that we might run out of fresh veg. since the weekly Riverford box hadn't turned up the day before, so Mrs P picked up some nice-looking leeks that she fancied.

When we got home the Riverford box was there waiting for us, and in it were - you guessed it! - leeks. So now: what to do with rather a lot of leeks...:tongue:

May I refer you to my Leek, Potato and Cheese soup in the recipe thread.

Top Bottom