How has 2023 been for you cycling wise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How has 2023 been for you cycling wise?
What are your plans for 2024?

I have managed to go through the whole year without any accidents or spills and have not had any injuries, colds, flus or Covids to stop me riding.
It's been a relatively quiet year for me compared to previous years and will finish the year with a tad over 8100 miles.
A lot of them cycle commuting miles. A good few Audax rides and of course the monthly Imperial Century A Month Challenge. Of which I should gain my 13 gold star this weekend, all well and good, with a total of 14 Imperial Centuries for the year.
Its been much harder doing the challenge then previous years as both my normal long distance riding chums retired from the challenge and long rides in general. Meaning I was riding lonesome most of the time. Not so bad in the warmer, sunnier months but a struggle in the darker, colder ones.

In April, myself @rb58 @Trickedem and Titus (formerly of this parish) did another fantastic tour of the Sierra Nevada's in Spain. One of the days cycling up to the highest village in Spain, Trevelez. A very long all days climbing. Thankfully we stayed in the village over night so was a very nice ride back down to normal levels.

On the commuting front, another full year of blasting down the A21 morning and evening. This year see's me embarking on the 18th year of doing the route.
Its been a wetter then normal year, the most since I started logging, but not as much as you would think.
52 rainy commutes
Of which last year there was 46 rainy commutes.

So its not long until January which means it all starts again.
Back on the Imperial 100 challenge. Some more Audax and longer rides. Need to start upping the distances seeing as I have a place on LEL2025.
In September we are going back to Spain for another tour. This time starting in Bilbao, climbing over the Pyrenees into France and finishing in Toulouse.
I need a few more rides to raise my lifetime Eddington number to 118 (8 rides needed) or even try for 119 (15 needed). So that's a good goal right there.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Pretty rubbish. I don't enjoy cycling on the roads much any more with the ever increasing traffic and poor road conditions. Not much trails round here to get off road.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not many 20+ mile rides this year, my cycling buddies have moved away. But, I am still pootling around my local lanes several times a week and running errands and doing the shopping on my various steeds. They all get a turn out on the roads.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A quiet year. Not that fit. One birthday 70 miler with good friends; one SR series (600k only on the second attempt); a ride through Brittany to see the PBP riders, staying with friends and riding with the local club. And then I fell orff three weeks ago. There were of course the weekly pubruns (retired persons equivalent to commuting) and a few longer pootles.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Continued steady progress sums it up. :okay: Im doing about 100-120 miles per week over quite hilly terrain so leg strength is getting there. Has been much wetter here around Brora so have been using a trainer when i cant get out. Looking forward to upgrading my bike a Dawes 201 which has given stirling performance but the rim brakes are getting tiresome to maintain and not suited to the roads i ride. Next year i'll be doing longer rides and extending my range. :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I seem to be doing lots of shorter rides, anything over 20 miles is an epic!
I also seem to be riding my mountain bike and not my road bike.

I also seem to have lost the kind of raw power that I’d be able to go hard for a few miles. I’m not sure if this is to do with terrain, age or apathy.

If you follow my twaddle in the ‘your ride today’ thread you’ll know I spend more time on a ride taking pictures of cows, fungi and flowers. For me it’s all part of the journey.

I still absolutely love it though, and it’s as good for my mind as it is for my body.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not over yet, hopefully....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not done loads this year, 3149 miles. but well on the road to recovery, no accidents or spills so thats good, will carry on building up my stamina, hopefully weather will be better next year, nothing really planned for next year, First time thats happened for a few years, now we have the camper van, we could be cycling in differant parts of the country, here's to a good 2024 :cheers:

Last edited:
Top Bottom