So wrong it's right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've been for a little ride with LittleKnees today, along a bit of the Trans Pennine Trail. On such rides I normally take my do-it-all bike, which is a rigid MTB with drop bars, mudguards, slicks and a rear rack.

Today though we were going on a trail I know to be muddy at the best of times, but I couldn't take my knobbly tired MTB because I have to carry the stuff, so I wanted the rack. Plus I didn't want to be firing wet mud in my kids face if I got in front, so I wanted the guards too. But equally I didn't want to be sliding all over the place. My simple solution was to swap the wheels over between the two bikes (luckily I never did get around to trimming the stays on the 'guards...)

Can anyone explain why both bikes now look better? The 'road-ified' MTB with it's full guards and drop bars looks awesome with proper off road tyres, and the flat bar MTB looks pretty good on slicks. What's that all about? What have you done to your bikes that is 'wrong' but actually looks cool?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I bought a stock Trek 7.3 hybrid which was designed to be fairly quick I suppose, and over the years I've put deeper tread tyres on, mudguards, a rack, and a Brooks saddle, and somehow I've ended up with something that a vicar would more likely be seen on. But I quite like it in a way, it sort of looks right as a town bike.

20161227_144401.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You haven't seen the CYCLE PATH I use

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've been for a little ride with LittleKnees today, along a bit of the Trans Pennine Trail. On such rides I normally take my do-it-all bike, which is a rigid MTB with drop bars, mudguards, slicks and a rear rack.

Today though we were going on a trail I know to be muddy at the best of times, but I couldn't take my knobbly tired MTB because I have to carry the stuff, so I wanted the rack. Plus I didn't want to be firing wet mud in my kids face if I got in front, so I wanted the guards too. But equally I didn't want to be sliding all over the place. My simple solution was to swap the wheels over between the two bikes (luckily I never did get around to trimming the stays on the 'guards...)

Can anyone explain why both bikes now look better? The 'road-ified' MTB with it's full guards and drop bars looks awesome with proper off road tyres, and the flat bar MTB looks pretty good on slicks. What's that all about? What have you done to your bikes that is 'wrong' but actually looks cool?
Pics would help :smile:

Top Bottom