So wtf happened to all the fireworks this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
nORMALLY IT'S LIKE the opening assault on the somme round here on new years eve...tonight I hear two pathetic farts and then silence...blimey the credit crunch must be real if the chavs cant afford fireworks:ohmy:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BigonaBianchi said:
nORMALLY IT'S LIKE the opening assault on the somme round here on new years eve...tonight I hear two pathetic farts and then silence...blimey the credit crunch must be real if the chavs cant afford fireworks:ohmy:

It was loud enough and spectacular enough in Meanwood. I stole the show with a silent spectacle - a couple of sky lanterns i.e. hot air balloons. The weather was perfect; very cold and very still air which maximised lift and minimised drift. Post launch I could hear folk in neighbouring streets shouting for their pals and relatives to come out and have a look at them and expressions of wonderment, "WTF are they?" were frequent.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Aperitif said:
Did you make them out of dry cleaning bags, coat hangers, cotton wool and 'power' them with meths vernon? :ohmy:
The best UFOs in town!

Nope.

Bought them ready made @ about £2 each. I have launched them from the back garden and from the car park at the Ribblehead Inn they are great conversation pieces.

lanterngallery10.jpg

The ones that I buy are made of white tissue and have a square of waxed cardboard as the heat/illumination source. They are pretty effective at self illumination. They are also good for rapid deployment and multiple launches. My son used them as targets when he launched the New Year's rockets. He missed every time.

Meths doesn't burn in a way that would lend much illumination to a black bin bag at night though I'm now tempted to get out a couple of the cheap B&Q black bin bags and use some of my Trangia meths for a day time launch.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mrs Dr Bollo, who really is old enough to know better, played her traditional "Israelis and Palestinians" on the local neighbourhood. Away from her shelling, things were pretty quiet here as well.

We tried to get some of those lantern things as well, but our pyrotechnics solution provider had sold out.

TVC

Very quiet here too, as was Nov 5th. There does not seem to have been the outbreak of firework shops that there has been over the past few years. I don't know if it was just a passing phase or if trading standards have got their act together about cheap imported explosives.

The London/Thames fireworks were very good! Boris got something right!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
we didnt do fireworks this year...didnt miss them either....besides it meant I didnt have to go out and clean up all the dog crap off the lawn as part of the usual pre blitz safty checks.

longers

Legendary Member
Twas very loud here for 10 minutes - woke me up ;)

I think Fossy is off the hook as I don't reckon I was hearing his cakes from here.

Top Bottom