So.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's good that you have this chance to live with her and help, many don't. The prognosis is hard to live with but oft times the medical establishment get it wrong. You just have to play it as it comes.
I wish you the best.
Thank you sir

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Going through something similar myself so you really have my sympathies. Best advice is to concentrate on living, not get fixated on the dying part. Sounds trite but I'm finding it to be true.

SteveF

I'm nearly 45, my mother who is only just 64 has been given her death sentence . Incurable but treatable they say.

She continues to cook an evening meal of absurd quality. For other reasons I am again living with my parents.

I don't want them to die.
Like but no like if you get my drift..... Thoughts are with you fella.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Of course you don't want them to die, it's shocking news for anyone to hear, but it's an inevitability that comes to us all.
I lost my father when I was thirty, my ma only last year.. Both to cancer - its an arse of a disease for sure.

It does, in some ways, also make you get on with living too.

But as everyone else has said, go easy on yourself, and do it your way.

It used to be expected that you'd stay all stiff upper lip, nowadays it's almost seen as poor form not to be emoting all over the place - but there is no 'right' way to do this.

Take your cues from your mum she'd probably rather go on 'living with cancer' rather than focusing on the end?

And yes maybe you could pick up some cooking tips from her - I'd imagine she would love to pass her knowledge and skills on.

And doing things together, is such a good way of having natural conversations.

Don't forget lots of bike rides too tho - they nearly always help boost your mood!

I thank you deeply

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Salty. I do feel for you and indeed anyone in a similar situation.
I have posted this thought before but when I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, aged approx 65, my first thought was "well I've had a bloody good life. But if I win this battle something else will eventually get me".
I think most 'older' people are philosophical about death and would not want you worrying too much.
Easier said than done I know.

Thanks Dave

Top Bottom