Social kissing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Not if, but how? This came up at the Dun Run for me right after I made it to Dun. I don't kiss the continental way often enough to have it down. How much contact do you make, or do you stick with air kisses? As usual, Debretts isn't all the help one would hope for ("A very slight contact is best, and no sound effects are needed.")

This is much more helpful

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwe5KDJYxTM&spf

but still, I wonder how many people freeze or just get it wrong anyway, and what constitutes wrong.

byegad

Legendary Member
I think the golden rule is no tongues!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's one thing I have never ever got the hang of, and I suspect never will.
A friend moved to California, and the next time I saw him he went to give me a hug. All most disconcerting.
Whatever happened to a good firm handshake, that's what I'd like to know.

slowwww

Veteran
Most of my female friends are lovely, down to earth women and so a single kiss on the cheek is the form there.

My wife's friends on the other hand are very much more cosmopolitan and arty, and anything between 1 and three kisses is required. Problem is that I can never remember which does what, and consequently am usually pulling away when further kisses are required, or imposing more kisses when they are not. Social death is ensured every time!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Most of my female friends are lovely, down to earth women and so a single kiss on the cheek is the form there.

My wife's friends on the other hand are very much more cosmopolitan and arty, and anything between 1 and three kisses is required. Problem is that I can never remember which does what, and consequently am usually pulling away when further kisses are required, or imposing more kisses when they are not. Social death is ensured every time!
The number rule is variable. France is usually 2 but there are some 4 kissers. Switzerland is very firmly 3, and when I say very firmly I mean that if you go for 2 they'll get the 3rd in before you have an opportunity to retire.

Podium girls seem to find rather more 3 timers than you'd expect in the TdF.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I'd go for twice. Right cheek to right cheek, then left. Then beat a hasty retreat. And no stupid mmmmwah noises either.

Top Bottom