Socks....nice warm socks needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I have neglected my feet this winter and I need some warm socks.
I know the weather should now start to get warmer but we can still have cold days until the summer.

Is the coolmax material good enough for the winter?
Are they primarily a summer sock?
My shimano shoes have a meshed frotn upper and my toes get icy cold..;)...so I need some warm socks that are good value too.

Any ideas welcome.
Ta
Steve

mondobongo

Über Member
For warm tootsies I go for wool socks during the winter Sock Guy does a good range and tie them up with a pair of lycra overshoes have had no problems and do suffer from cold feet.

Tynan

Veteran
wearing woolly boolies at the mo, they're certainly a lot warmer than the MTB socks I had previously, still get cold big toes on a very cold day but that's more my toes, bad circ runs in the family

yello

stevenb said:
Is the coolmax material good enough for the winter?
No
Are they primarily a summer sock?
Yes.

I have both the aformentioned defeet Woolie Boolies AND the Lewis Kit merino sock and rate both as a decent winter sock. So much so that I ride year round in the same (i.e. summer) shoes and put overshoes on if it gets wet and/or too cold.

Edit: forgot to mention, I think the Woolie Boolies are better than the LewisKit offering for the really cold days.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Tynan said:
wearing woolly boolies at the mo, they're certainly a lot warmer than the MTB socks I had previously, still get cold big toes on a very cold day but that's more my toes, bad circ runs in the family

I have seen them...they look very comfy.
I also suffer with circulation probs in the winter months.
Might go for the woolly boolies. I know they do two types. IIRC winter and winter plus?

ash68

Tynan said:

+1 keep my feet nice and warm in the coldest weather so far this winter.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I ordered myself some Woolie Boolie socks today.:biggrin:
Looking forward to toasty warm feet.
I already have some overshoes too....which work very well.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I wondered if they were.
I think they are a little thinner and not quite as warm....but still pretty good.

I'll probably get some more socks soon......skint after todays spending spree....some more for the winter and new summer ones.

Tynan

Veteran
suggest we all have different feet and for that matter different shoes

I got tired with the extra hassle of putting on and taking off overshoes, strictly only for wet weather now

yello

Plax said:
Are these as warm as the Woolie Boolie socks?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300004469
They are Wool-E-Ator

No. They're a good 'cusp season' sock though! Or maybe for colder, rainy summer rides. Wicking and warm, I think I've read of them being a summer sock but I personally would find them too warm for that. Praps good for keeping wet feet warm??

But definitely not a full on winter sock - I mistook them for my woolie-boolies one morning last month and really noticed the difference!

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
suggest we all have different feet and for that matter different shoes

I got tired with the extra hassle of putting on and taking off overshoes, strictly only for wet weather now

I don't understand this, why are you taking the overshoes off every time?

Mine just stay on, it just takes an extra couple of seconds to velcro them up the back, no real extra hassle.

Tynan

Veteran
mine zip up the back while the shoes strap over the instep, bit hard to take off both together

getting back to the Sock Guy socks on wiggle, good fun but what on earth goes on wit the 'self-gratification artist' ones?

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

My mate lent me his overshoes...they are a little tight and fiddly to get on....but great once they are on.

Woolie Boolies arrived and I used them on Sunday.
they worked superbly and I was really pleased. My toes felt fine and I was able to concentrate my efforts on my riding.
Highly recommend them to anyone who wants socks. :wacko:

Top Bottom