Socrates!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Flying_Monkey said:
The guy is a complete dude: witty, literate, and completely right about everything. That's right, about everything...:biggrin:

But I thought that was you FM

yello

He looked like a muppet. No really, I mean it. Animal.

He also seemed to have arms that could extend into infinity, and enormous hands... I loved his goal celebrations.

That Brazil side of 82 was blessed with players; Zico, Socrates, Falcao.... and my own favourite, Eder. That side was my football awakening, I didn't know the game could be played like that.

He sounds like a thinker too, a clever bloke. Not sure how that book will turn out but if can match his on-field creativity with a literary one then it could be surreal!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
yello said:
He looked like a muppet. No really, I mean it. Animal.

He also seemed to have arms that could extend into infinity, and enormous hands... I loved his goal celebrations.

That Brazil side of 82 was blessed with players; Zico, Socrates, Falcao.... and my own favourite, Eder. That side was my football awakening, I didn't know the game could be played like that.

He sounds like a thinker too, a clever bloke. Not sure how that book will turn out but if can match his on-field creativity with a literary one then it could be surreal!

Exactly - probably the greatest side not to win the World Cup. And all characters.

yello said:

Dr. Socrates, that is. Wonder how many players, either at the tournament or playing in the premier league would be capable of that.
Dr. Rooney perhaps :biggrin:

mangaman

Flying_Monkey said:
My favourite player ever (c'mon, what do you mean, he's not yours?), interviewed in The Guardian. The guy is a complete dude: witty, literate, and completely right about everything. That's right, about everything...:smile:

Socrates = my favourite player too.

My first real memory of the world cup was 1982 in Spain, and at the time English football was full of hard working geezers called Terry or Harry who could put themselves about a bit.

I remember coming home from school and watching Brazil 1982. It was like watching football from another planet. Now they all play in Europe and the Champions League is probably the highest standard of football around.

In 1982 I was mesmorised by Socrates / Zico etc. Socrates in particular. Naming himself after a Greek philosopher/smoking 40 a day/being a qualified medical doctor/scoring goals like this

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8-GPJtDI8

made him my hero.

It's not possible to be as cool as he was in 1982 IMHO

I still rage that the match-fixing cheat Paulo Rossi and the clogging Italians won that world cup.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Wasn't there also a Julio Cesar in that side?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsKlbeDHC-Q
- sorry, this is self-indulgent, but this is what I remember the 1982 World Cup for - the Tardelli goal. Not the one in the final, but the first against Argentina in the second phase.

Italy had been nondescript in the first group stage - if memory serves they got through after three draws, and scoring only one goal. They then went in to the deathliest Group of Death there has ever been. Three teams, of which only one would progress - Brazil, who has been rampant in the group stages, Argentina, who were clearly a class outfit, and then Italy. Nobody gave Italy a dog's chance.

And it was a dull game until Tardelli took off, scored a wonderful goal and treated us to his celebration. Italy were transformed. Rossi turned out to be a genius, Conte was everywhere (Scirea was by a stretch the most violent centre half I've ever seen)...and they won the Cup with ease.

Top Bottom