soft tissue damage- shoulder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I came off my motorbike today on my way to work, trying to avoid a collision with a car who pulled out in front of me. I collided with the tarmac instead. Went to A& E who have said I have a concussion and some soft tissue damage in my shoulder. They were afraid it was broken, but thankfully not I guess. Obviously, I'm not allowed to lift anything for a bit, and that's diving out for a few weeks. But how long should I stay off my cycle for? Motorbike needs repairing, so wife will have the car. Which means my cycle is my main mode of transport for a bit again, not that I mind. However, I'm not sure how long I should, or if I should, stay off it for. Any ideas or should I talk to my GP?

vickster

Legendary Member
Talk to your GP
Also, get them to refer you to a physio, you want to stop that shoulder stiffening as much as possible. If you can't get NHS, pay for some private sessions

I had 11 weeks off the bike after a labral repair last year (and 8 weeks off driving). I've just got back on my bike after a second more minor op on the 21 December (8/9 weeks) (could drive after 3 weeks)

I'd not do anything until you've seen a physio. Keep it moving as much as possible,. Ice and heat

GWS

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
What Vickster said. Shoulders are complex joints. Both mine are FUBARed after a spectacular mountain bike crash just before the Millennium! I am in constant pain and if I dare do something they don't like such as go for a swim, we are talking sleepless nights.

Keep mobile would be my advice. you don't want that joint stiffening. - Very short term hammer it with pain killers -
could you ride a turbo or an exercise bike ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Soft tissue damage can be worse than broken bones!

I have damaged soft tissue in both shoulders and have still not regained full strength after many years. I think that shoulder exercises might help but I have to be careful not to strain the shoulders or I wouldn't be able to ride my bike for a week or more each time and that puts me off trying.

Take vickster's advice about seeing a physio!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Good sense written above. Did A&E not give you any advice?
If in doubt see your GP - but if things are not too bad, keep the shoulder moving using its full range.
If it starts to get too stiff - physio will help.
The best long term solution is get a recumbent trike!

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
A&E put me in a sling for the next 3 days and gave me a load of exercises to do over the next few weeks. As well as told me not to do any heavy lifting. I've started the exercises they gave me, and it hurts. At the moment it's just things like lifting and moving my arm in various ways to keep movement. I'm buggered if I lose my range of motion...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's not broken, get advice from a physio and use it. Worse thing you can do is totally immobilise any joint.

I banged up my shoulder badly recently at Llandegla. I struggled to get the bike back in the car, and get 2nd or 4th gear in the car for a few weeks. I saw a private physio and got a rollocking, but it wasn't an A&E visit and I wasn't about to go. Do the mobilisation and carry on. Take the pain killers. Strapping up a limb that's not broken is a very bad idea.

Do not follow A&E's advice for a non-broken joint - go see a private physio that deals with sports injury. I was given the worst advice possible from NHS physio's after my fractured spine - I went private and got the correct treatment that enabled me to get back to work.

Unfortunately, NHS physio does not have time to treat people properly.

PK99

Legendary Member
lots of good advice.

Key point - see a sports physio ASAP. Tomorrow if you can. You need guidance on what exercises you should and which you should not to.

This site is very good for guidance on how to do rehab exercises, but only do the ones your physio recommends

http://www.physiorehab.com/videos-rehab-exercises-shoulder-rotator-cuff

I've been following the ACL rehab program and it is outstandingly good, my sports physio has been very happy for me to follow it with periodic check-ins

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
http://www.physiorehab.com/videos-rehab-exercises-shoulder-rotator-cuff

I've been following the ACL rehab program and it is outstandingly good, my sports physio has been very happy for me to follow it with periodic check-ins
I think I will give those a try - thanks for posting the link!

Incidentally, to show how delicate soft tissues can be - one of my shoulders was buggered by me being too lazy to roll over to turn off my morning alarm. I reached back behind me, couldn't quite reach the clock, and put the shoulder out trying. Years later it still hurts!

MarkF

Guru
Soft tissue damage can be worse than broken bones!

Too right, there have been time when I dearly wish I'd broken bones than suffered tissue/tendon damage.

A&E put me in a sling for the next 3 days and gave me a load of exercises to do over the next few weeks. As well as told me not to do any heavy lifting. I've started the exercises they gave me, and it hurts. At the moment it's just things like lifting and moving my arm in various ways to keep movement. I'm buggered if I lose my range of motion...

You had an x-ray?

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Too right, there have been time when I dearly wish I'd broken bones than suffered tissue/tendon damage.

You had an x-ray?
Yes, they originally thought I may have broken something in my shoulder. But, no breaks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hopefully it is just bruising then, but if it doesn't heal normally/quickly and you don't have full range of movement, push for an MRI scan.
Indeed. I tried 9 months of Physio before I had an MRI and the suspected labral tear was confirmed. Luckily having private healthcare, I didn't have to wait for the MRI (once referred by Consultant)
Not helped by having an unusual injury for my demographic!

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Hopefully it is just bruising then, but if it doesn't heal normally/quickly and you don't have full range of movement, push for an MRI scan.

At the moment, every time I move my arm, I feel sick and I have a fairly high pain threshold. GP is getting a phone first thing in the morning, and hopefully I can get an appointment that doesn't clash with my other appointment tomorrow.

Top Bottom