Softening a Brooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Aside from treating it with proofide a couple times a year, leave it alone and let nature take its course. Foreseeing what leather is going to do under certain conditions isn't easy and is more guesswork than fact. Mine took a real rain hammering during the Way of the Roses tour some years ago and that I think is what led to it breaking in and forming a Vantages arse sort of shape but I wouldn't deliberately soak one to achieve that result. That's asking for trouble imo.
Anyone saying one saddle is better or worse than another is talking out of their arse. Saddles are a personal thing.

C R

Guru
Wouldn't lard just make it greasy and smell bad?

It was sort of tongue in cheek advice. Lard was used traditionally to soften the leather in heavy work boots.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You don't soften a Brooks, a Brooks hardens your arse.

B17 user here, on my KP, I have ridden many 25 mile plus rides on it, no padded shorts, it's very comfortable.
Also the most comfortable saddle I have ever owned was a Brooks that was on a 44 year old BSA bike, I should have kept that saddle.

I realise having typed this, the information is of no practical use at all, but it's typed now so, I'm posting it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom