Solar panel kit for shed/greenhouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just got myself a 100w solar panel, 20a controller and leisure battery for running lights etc etc down the shed/greenhouse.

anyone use solar for this purpose and can show or talk me through your set-up???

Landsurfer

Veteran
100w solar panel, 20a controller and leisure battery .!!!...
Huge carbon footprint, how many years of use will it take to break even... carbon neutral ?
All made in China i suppose .. with power from thermal coal fired power stations ...
The essential rare earths mined from the Congo by 5-8 year old children or slave labour within China .....
But .. hey it’s Green ....

Only joking ... :laugh::laugh:

Seriously ... only joking ....^_^

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Not on the shed but on my camper, as you 100w flexi panel and controller.

Rigid panels are better value apparently so if yours is this type probably better, get some airflow underneath.

What would you like to know specifically?
Ive got the flexi panel for now, so i can remove it easy in bad weather……

tell me everything you know

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Yes that similar to the set up on our camper, 2 x 125w panels and an MPPT controller.

It’s pretty plug and play although make sure you’ve sized the cables correctly.
Sized the cables??? Tell me more

4mm as minimum (PV to controller) but the general logic says go as big as you can fit into the terminals.

Ideally then 6mm from controller to battery. And avoid too long a cable run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

4mm as minimum (PV to controller) but the general logic says go as big as you can fit into the terminals.

Ideally then 6mm from controller to battery. And avoid too long a cable run.
Cabling is all uncluded in the package

OP
OP
J

jowwy

To be honest, fook all!

My controller is a 'dual ' one so can be set to charge both 'starter ' battery or 'leisure' battery in a % . You probably won't need this facility as you may only have 1 battery.

I would always go for 'warm' led strip lights as the White can be a bit bright.

I use a 110 amp leisure battery rather than a starter battery as they're designed for charging/discharging.
Getting usb lights for now, straight from the controller, will then wire battery with inline fuse for added protection, will then run lights again through a small fuse box just in case and for added protection

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
On my list of things to do. I have a spare battery and solar charge controller, plus lights, just need to get round to buying the solar panel.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Sounds like a plan, 1 fuse should be adequate between panel and battery 10a, close to battery.

Then just wire anything else you want to the battery via a fuse box as you've suggested.

This time of year because the Sun is low I'm seeing around 21 v from the panel and 13ish in the battery.
Yup thats the plan…….might even try and run an auto watering system for the greenhouse with it.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Sounds like a plan, 1 fuse should be adequate between panel and battery 10a, close to battery.

Then just wire anything else you want to the battery via a fuse box as you've suggested.

This time of year because the Sun is low I'm seeing around 21 v from the panel and 13ish in the battery.
Do you have an inverter fitted too???

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I would avoid an inverter if you can, pretty inefficient use of that harvested leccy. Try to find 12v devices where you can
The man cave has a tv and pc…….so i would want to run them off it

230v from an inverter, powered by a single 100w panel in the UK, good luck 😉

an inverter will chew up quite a bit of juice just converting to 230v. A decent pure sine wave inverter is that cheap if you want a reliable, long lasting and efficient unit, usually costing as much as the entire PV installation

Top Bottom