Solar panel kit for shed/greenhouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you're pushing your luck, to say the least, to think of running a normal domestic TV from it!
A few years ago I used a similar-sized set-up with a good deep-cycle battery to provide 12 v lighting in a remote stable block. It coped fine with lighting for a couple of hours at each end of the day and occasional use of a 12v kettle but I didn't trust it to reliably run the electric fence as well, and had that on its own system. I used to take the batteries home regularly in winter to give them a 'proper' charge unless we'd had a good run of bright sunny days. Of course the systems weren't as efficient as they've now become but even so a TV ...

If you have a laptop with a decent screen, why not charge that up at home and use it as a telly in the shed?

Broadside

Guru
There is some incredible knowledge on the VW Transporter forum. Start with this thread, it’s likely that most of your questions will be answered…

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/sol...lar-projects-how-we-done-it.16457/post-227233

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Surely it's easier to run mains power to a shed?
What im trying to do as best i can is run my shed/greenhouse systems off grid…. Electric prices going through the roof etc etc, but if i can run some garden lights, small greenhouse heater and some other bits and bobs from solar and wind. I be a happy bunny.

Last edited:
What im trying to do as best i can is run my shed/greenhouse systems off grid…for the cheapest way possible. Electric prices going through the roof etc etc, but if i can run some garden lights, small greenhouse heater and some other bits and bobs from solar and wind. I be a happy bunny.

“We’re gonna need a bigger solar panel” to quote a phrase. Plus about £1k of lithium batteries, a high end controller etc etc.

Challenge one in the Uk is getting enough (and strong enough) sun light to harvest decent amounts, solution is usually more panels. Second challenge is where to store all that juice until you need it.

Personally I’d focus on a few small draw 12v items and see where you go from there, you can always upgrade and adjust as you go. Cool project though and will be great to see some pics once it’s done

OP
OP
J

jowwy

“We’re gonna need a bigger solar panel” to quote a phrase. Plus about £1k of lithium batteries, a high end controller etc etc.

Challenge one in the Uk is getting enough (and strong enough) sun light to harvest decent amounts, solution is usually more panels. Second challenge is where to store all that juice until you need it.

Personally I’d focus on a few small draw 12v items and see where you go from there, you can always upgrade and adjust as you go. Cool project though and will be great to see some pics once it’s done
Totally agree…..but i am just starting small for now

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I think you're pushing your luck, to say the least, to think of running a normal domestic TV from it!
A few years ago I used a similar-sized set-up with a good deep-cycle battery to provide 12 v lighting in a remote stable block. It coped fine with lighting for a couple of hours at each end of the day and occasional use of a 12v kettle but I didn't trust it to reliably run the electric fence as well, and had that on its own system. I used to take the batteries home regularly in winter to give them a 'proper' charge unless we'd had a good run of bright sunny days. Of course the systems weren't as efficient as they've now become but even so a TV ...

If you have a laptop with a decent screen, why not charge that up at home and use it as a telly in the shed?
I aint swapping a 48” lcd screen for a 14” laptop……..id rather keep it hooked upto the mains than do that.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Rather than buying inverters, batteries, new controllers etc etc , i may invest in one of these all in one solutions, which can be charged by solar and the grid at the same time if needed and means i can still run 240v equipment and can use it for other things if need just by unplugging the solar panel

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seems like a big investment for such a small payback when you already have mains power. How many tens or hundreds of years will it take to break even?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yeh im ok with that fossy........

I think we're all thinking - 'how can I save more energy' with the price rises. We've replaced some G4 halogens to LED's as our final 'upgrades' (all other lights are LED) and I've insulated the hot tub more !

Now to hook the turbo trainer upto the grid ! :whistle:

PS auto-watering should be easy as many pond pumps are 12v. Our system has saved my bacon over the last 12 months as I'm not great at 'remembering'. Going to move the sprinklers this year to ensure more water falls where we need it.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I think we're all thinking - 'how can I save more energy' with the price rises. We've replaced some G4 halogens to LED's as our final 'upgrades' (all other lights are LED) and I've insulated the hot tub more !

Now to hook the turbo trainer upto the grid ! :whistle:

PS auto-watering should be easy as many pond pumps are 12v. Our system has saved my bacon over the last 12 months as I'm not great at 'remembering'. Going to move the sprinklers this year to ensure more water falls where we need it.
its defo a saving energy project and the more in the cave/garden/greenhouse that i can move off grid the better.........im even think 12v smart tv, it will be a smaller screen, but then its outside, so dont really need a big screen in the garden.

Which is why im thinking of the power bank, rather than just a leisure battery, as i can move it around.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Seems like a big investment for such a small payback when you already have mains power. How many tens or hundreds of years will it take to break even?
with the rate elec is increasing not long..........also i have the money to invest now and may not have in the future and as its my money and not yours, its not really any of your business.

if i wanted investment advice or money advice i wouldnt use the diy part of the forum.

Top Bottom