Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Not too bad considering that it’s a dull winter’s afternoon (this morning was beautifully bright here)…

Attachments

• 7EAC842B-B49F-497E-9372-F0331D83B252.jpeg
    7EAC842B-B49F-497E-9372-F0331D83B252.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 10

Tenkaykev

Guru
You can get devices to automatically switch spare generation to the immersion, then you don't need to monitor it or manually switch.

I had the option to have a solar diverter fitted for about £600 - ish. With the much improved export tariffs I ran the figures through the online calculator at " Gary Does Solar " and as I suspected it would never pay for itself.
I have fitted a " Smart " immersion heater controller between my double pole isolator and the immersion heater that I have set to run on a schedule to charge at the cheap overnight rate. The controller can also talk to Alexa / Google / Siri if you set it up that way but I'm just using it on a schedule.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zc1g1bz0eA

CXRAndy

Guru
It's something I considered a few years ago but didn't get it installed for financial reasons as well as planning to move at the time, and we may be soon so again wouldn't do it.

We've a SSW-facing 10x7m roof which would take the panels nicely.

They add value to your property, if the system is fully working. Just add the price onto sale price.

Better still add even more to the house and reduce a little, psychological sale tactic

They add value to your property, if the system is fully working. Just add the price onto sale price.

Better still add even more to the house and reduce a little, psychological sale tactic

Interesting
When I was buying this house - about 11/12 years ago - I read a report saying that solar panels recuded the price you could get for a house
but it did say it seemed that this was for 2 reasons
a) a lot of the houses with solar panels were on the old "rent a roof" scheme - so the panels were owned by a cmpany who got the feed-in-tareif money - which complicated the sale and often scared people off - this reducing the potential buyers
b) people not understanding solar panels and so getting scared of what they were and how much complication they would add to owning the house

Both these factor have pretty much gone now - plus the panels being installed are much better - so I am not surprised that they potentially increase the price
Has anyone seem a proper report on this - or is it just something the Estate AGents say??

Buck

Guru
I agree. Old “rent a roof” schemes were a negative. With the cost of energy now higher and in the forefront of people’s minds, energy saving devices are more popular

Whilst there is no hard and fast rule as to how much value solar panels can add to the overall value of your property, suggestions range from 4% to 14% on average and they are certainly unlikely to detract from the value of your home, even if they aren’t the most attractive feature visually.”

source: https://www.yopa.co.uk/homeowners-hub/how-much-do-solar-panels-add-to-the-value-of-your-house/

and

When it comes to if solar panels add value to your home, we’re faced with a mixed picture. Research from Admiral Money recently found solar panels can boost a property’s value by as much as 25%.

But, estate agents at Petty Son & Prestwich warned that installing solar panels may actually put off your would-be buyers. Limiting your return to a “big, fat zero percent”.

Despite this, there can be no doubt about the direction the market is heading. Environmental legislation is on the way which will force property owners to prioritise a green agenda. In fact, many landlords and property investors are already avoiding properties with low EPC ratings.”

Source: https://www.mfsuk.com/blog/how-much-solar-panels-add-home-value/

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
We had ~5.25kWh installed ( 13 x 410Wh Q Cells ) We also had a 13.5kWh battery installed. One thing to watch out for is that the DNO ( District Network Operator ) can install a maximum allowed export for the installation depending on local conditions such as what the load on the local substation is, amount of generation on the local grid etc. The make / type of Inverter fitted can also make a difference as some have a limit of 3.6kWh of output. Our local DNO allowed us 7.6kWh of export and as our Inverter can Import / Export at 6kWh tha has proved quite lucrative with this winters National Grid export scheme. ( I was charging our home battery offpeak at less than 10p kWh and selling it back at £2.25 kWh )

CXRAndy

Guru
There are now G100 compliant Inverters with gateway control, limiting the export amount. Useful if DNO is restricting export due to network capacity issues.

Paperwork is more complicated, but a necessary hurdle if DNO is being an arse. Other option, is go off grid, but this is a bit of a nuclear option

Tenkaykev

Guru
There are now G100 compliant Inverters with gateway control, limiting the export amount. Useful if DNO is restricting export due to network capacity issues.

Paperwork is more complicated, but a necessary hurdle if DNO is being an arse. Other option, is go off grid, but this is a bit of a nuclear option

My installer applied for a G99 for my install.The company is local and has been installing Solar for more than a decade. He has a Tesla Powerwall himself and that was an option, but I went for the LiFePo chemistry ( I thing the Gen 3 Powerwalls are LiFePo )
He told me he had been dealing with the people at the local DNO since the beginning and has a good relationship with them.

Buck

Guru
We had a G99 application done for ours due to the kWp of the system.
Pretty straightforward and all approved in just a couple of weeks thankfully and with no export limit.

Not as onerous as it used to be.

Top Bottom