Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Are all leafs like this ? Ours is a 2018 42kwh version.

Yes, I believe so. 😁. The one company I've been in contact with was Wallbox. I have spoken with the UK sales lady, who said they were adding new firmware to their latest model and release was being held till this was completed. Not sure if it is waffle.

However a few utility companies last year I believe we're signing up clients, who had solar and owned a Nissan leaf and were interested in the VTG. There was some contract where you promised to connect your car to the grid overnight. Wallbox were involved, but since have gone quiet. I'm hoping there will be others entering this market soon.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That's a joke I raised a complaint with them earlier in the year about British Gas & their abuse of their position & Ofgem sided with them after leaving 2 pensioners in a house with no heat for 10 days last December.

Thats still not saying they arent independant is it………..we all know they have issues they need to sort out internally with how they have dealt with fuel cost rises etcetc

D

Deleted member 26715

TBH I am finding this whole process unenjoyable, trying to get somebody to give a quote is hard enough then when you get the quote trying to understand if it's reasonable or not. The guy who quote £9K for 8 panels comes across as somebody if there were issues I'm not sure I'd get support from him, the guy who quote £12.5K comes across as a used car salesman, he turned up in a 650bhp Range Rover that does 14mpg, I'm not sure it gave me the right impression of his company, for one selling environmentally friendly products. His product he also claimed is monitored 24/7 by their servers & control room, I'm not sure I want that, or maybe I'm just a luddite, but it seems a bit big brother to me.

jowwy

TBH I am finding this whole process unenjoyable, trying to get somebody to give a quote is hard enough then when you get the quote trying to understand if it's reasonable or not. The guy who quote £9K for 8 panels comes across as somebody if there were issues I'm not sure I'd get support from him, the guy who quote £12.5K comes across as a used car salesman, he turned up in a 650bhp Range Rover that does 14mpg, I'm not sure it gave me the right impression of his company, for one selling environmentally friendly products. His product he also claimed is monitored 24/7 by their servers & control room, I'm not sure I want that, or maybe I'm just a luddite, but it seems a bit big brother to me.

Yeh i dont think id want my solar being monitored by someone else tbh……….unless they are paying me for exporting extra kwh to the grid.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yeh i dont think id want my solar being monitored by someone else tbh……….unless they are paying me for exporting extra kwh to the grid.

His argument was they monitored each panel individually & they would notice if there was an issue with any of them & make arrangements to swap the panel out (if needed) under the warranty

CXRAndy

Guru

You want monitoring through the manufacturer not an installer. Solar edge has panel level monitoring, so you can see failure on individual level. You pay more for Solaredge, but it is good quality products. There are others out there. I'll ask my in-laws what they have

jowwy

His argument was they monitored each panel individually & they would notice if there was an issue with any of them & make arrangements to swap the panel out (if needed) under the warranty

Yeh right lol……as if you believe him

D

Deleted member 26715

You want monitoring through the manufacturer not an installer. Solar edge has panel level monitoring, so you can see failure on individual level. You pay more for Solaredge, but it is good quality products. There are others out there. I'll ask my in-laws what they have

He's quoting

DMEGC 400W All Black with Growatt 3.6 Hybrid Inverter

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So question what is to be gained from monitoring? Other than for failure ? What I’m really saying is what’s the big problem ?

D

Deleted member 26715

So question what is to be gained from monitoring? Other than for failure ? What I’m really saying is what’s the big problem ?

Might be an irrational fear, big brother & all of that, what happens when the unit(s) can't communicate with their server?

I know somebody who had Hive fitted, there was a blip in power & he lost full control of his central heating & hot water until they did something at their end which took 3 days. It completely locked him out of his own system & he couldn't do anything. He must have spent 5-6 hours on the phone with them in that time.

jowwy

My fear would be how the communication is done…..do they need to piggy back my broadband and therefore, could they then hack into my broadband for other uses. Also what happens if they dont come and repair or they go bankrupt out of business etc etc and they are still piggy backing my broadband for communication, only now i dont know who it is or how to remove them.

CXRAndy

Guru
You want 25 yr manufacturers warranty on the panels. Usually 10 years on the inverters, again manufacturer warranty. Next best a long established insurance company policy to cover warranty.

Don't accept the installers warranty at all.

It's a bit paranoid to worry about your broadband being hacked. Most data is encrypted these days

Top Bottom