Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
https://regenpower.com/articles/hybrid-inverter-vs-off-grid-inverter/

What is the difference between a hybrid inverter and an off-grid Inverter?

Hybrid inverters generate power exactly the same way as common string solar inverters. The difference is that it has built-in battery connections to enable energy storage for later use. This battery backup ability enables most hybrid systems to also operate as a backup power supply during a blackout.

The off-grid inverter draws power from the battery, converts it from DC, and outputs AC. Off-grid inverters cannot synchronise with the utility grid. These are designed to work alone. An off-grid inverter cannot feed power derived from solar or battery into the utility grid. On the other hand, the hybrid inverter can feedback on the power to the utility grid.

Advantages and disadvantages of hybrid inverter& Off-grid solar inverter

The main advantage of a hybrid inverter is that the excess power can draw from the grid when the solar power produced is not sufficient to run the load. In addition to that the storage batteries provide backup in case of grid failure. Therefore hybrid inverters provide a constant power supply and you need not worry about power outages.

The battery system connected to the hybrid inverter allows maximum utilization of plentiful solar radiation on sunny days. Hence, it ensures optimal utilization of renewable resources. A hybrid inverter does not require frequent servicing and it has a low maintenance system.

The major concern is that adding a hybrid inverter into the existing solar system demands a complete and costly re-work of the entire solar panel system. Hence, hybrid inverters are not an ideal option for upgrading an existing system. Moreover, the initial installation expense of a hybrid inverter is very high compared to the other solar power inverters. In terms of compatibility, not all hybrid inverters work with every type of battery.

The attractive feature of off-grid inverters is they are cheaper compared to hybrid inverters. The primary concern of off-grid inverters is a power outage. It cannot work in conjunction with the utility grid. Therefore, electricity produced only through solar may not suffice the need particularly when the sun is not shining.

Benefits of Hybrid solar inverter

Most hybrid inverters can be programmed to function in different modes. For instance, the grid-tie mode functions as a normal solar inverter. The hybrid mode stores excess solar energy during the day. The backup mode works as a solar inverter when the grid is connected and automatically switches to backup power mode during a grid outage. Finally, the off-grid mode of hybrid inverters functions like an off-grid inverter.

Many hybrid inverters combine performance monitoring, charge control, and bi-directional AC DC inverter functionality into a single unit at a lower cost. Moreover, a hybrid solar inverter ensures optimal energy consumption by acting as a battery inverter. Many of the hybrid inverters provide mobile app cloud monitoring systems.

This feature ensures to track your system’s output and receive notifications by logging into the app. The configurable mode in many of the hybrid inverters allows you to put your system on vacation or standby.

The difference in working of hybrid & off-grid system

A hybrid system is a combination of solar and battery storage in the same equipment. The system is also connected to the utility grid. In this system, once the battery is fully charged excess solar power can be exported to the grid. The grid provides backup power when the battery is exhausted. There is no utility grid in an off-grid system. Here, the excess power will be stored in the battery bank. It will stop receiving power from the solar system, once the battery is full.

Can a hybrid inverter work without batteries?

Yes. A hybrid inverter can work without batteries. Instead of a battery, it is connected to the utility grid. In such a case, the inverter supplies power both from the solar and utility grid. However, a battery backup allows using battery power to back up any essential household circuit during a blackout. A hybrid inverter without a battery can not provide power in the case of black our. If grid stability is not a concern then a hybrid inverter without a battery would be a perfect economical option. Moreover, it is easy to maintain because there are fewer components to take care of.

Last edited:

jowwy

https://www.ginlong.com/us/conews/36330.html

another option in the UK and one my supplier is offering. Again can be used in offgrid mode in case of a power outage.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Dare I say it we might see more power outages due to current climate in energy but it’s not something I’d worry too much about in domestic situation ? Or again am I missing something here ?

PS had to change the solar appt tonight for Thursday, more pressing matters to attend too.

jowwy

Dare I say it we might see more power outages due to current climate in energy but it’s not something I’d worry too much about in domestic situation ? Or again am I missing something here ?

PS had to change the solar appt tonight for Thursday, more pressing matters to attend too.

tbh i cant remember the last time we had a power outage.....so not something i thought of, but did research options available before coming here and putting my views forward.

Alex321

Veteran
tbh i cant remember the last time we had a power outage.....so not something i thought of, but did research options available before coming here and putting my views forward.

We had one lasting nearly an hour during the big storms this last winter, and have a had a few of just seconds in the last year.

D

Deleted member 26715

We're not particularly rural but I would say we have 4-5 a year, unusual for any to be of significant length normally 15-30 minutes, we have quite a few off/ons just enough to screw up the clocks & the PC's but the last was about 6 hours.

A breaker failed & like all these things they don't carry stock in the van anymore so had to wait for the part to arrive from 50 miles away, only to find it wasn't the right one, but because it was in an evening the only person who could get it was the guy who'd taken the wrong one, so he had to drive back & forth again to bring the right one.

jowwy

We had one lasting nearly an hour during the big storms this last winter, and have a had a few of just seconds in the last year.

Thats what happens down that cardiff area….too many on the grid lol

Buck

Guru
How are those looking at getting solar quotes finding the suppliers willingness to discuss options / quote ?

I found one who gets really good reviews and recommended but he is looking at May next year so he’s said that he Is not even quoting new jobs u til he can clear some of the backlog which is fair enough.
Another used my address and looked on Google maps then said that my roof wasnt big enough (it certainly is!). A retrospective look at on line reviews showed it wasa lucky escape !

i have one other that I rang today and they are due to be calling me back but not heard from them as yet.
PS Im based in West Yorkshire

PS any recommendations for goodwebsites to research or forums. @jowwy did you say tou were on a solar forum(s)?

thanks

jowwy

How are those looking at getting solar quotes finding the suppliers willingness to discuss options / quote ?

I found one who gets really good reviews and recommended but he is looking at May next year so he’s said that he Is not even quoting new jobs u til he can clear some of the backlog which is fair enough.
Another used my address and looked on Google maps then said that my roof wasnt big enough (it certainly is!). A retrospective look at on line reviews showed it wasa lucky escape !

i have one other that I rang today and they are due to be calling me back but not heard from them as yet.
PS Im based in West Yorkshire

PS any recommendations for goodwebsites to research or forums. @jowwy did you say tou were on a solar forum(s)?

thanks

The forum i am on is DIY off grid builds…..they have some questions on residential solar, but mainly offgrid stuff.

im on there cause i have put my home office offgrid and am doing an offgrid build on the man cave.

D

Deleted member 26715

Latest quote came in £11,940, very sparse on details, nothing on warranty etc. but they did list the panels, inverter & batteries,

12 x PLM-400OM2B-66 400 Watt Panels (Perlight Solar)
1 x H1-3.7 (Fox Ess)
2 x HV2600 (Fox Ess)
Quick look online panels £200ea, inverter £1300ea, batteries £1000ea, chuck in another £1500 for misc/scaffold thats £7200 what makes up the other £4700?

jowwy

Latest quote came in £11,940, very sparse on details, nothing on warranty etc. but they did list the panels, inverter & batteries,

1 x H1-3.7 (Fox Ess)
2 x HV2600 (Fox Ess)
Quick look online panels £200ea, inverter £1300ea, batteries £1000ea, chuck in another £1500 for misc/scaffold thats £7200 what makes up the other £4700?

VAT will be a big chunk wouldnt it or is that not chargable??? then you have labour, maybe certs and applications cost to DNO, im just guessing tbh

and at least its a hybrid inverter.

kipster

Guru

1 x H1-3.7 (Fox Ess)
2 x HV2600 (Fox Ess)

Labour, warranties, certs, insurance, travel, roof rails, mounting brackets, wiring, garage board if you don't have enough spare in your consumer board etc... Etc...

Just on the labour bit. I had 3 roofers spend 5 hours installing the rails and panels, two electricians with a total of about 9 hours and another roofer 2 hours to install the bird proofing.

Top Bottom