Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
I think you have your panels on a FIT don't you? Most likely changed with the new export process.

Buck

Guru
Over 32kWh generated today - pleased with that!

The battery did a full discharge and calibration today so that skewed the figures but tomorrow will be our first day of “normal” solar.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just to resurrect this thread. I've been doing a fair bit of research recently using some excellent resources ( Gary Does Solar Tim and Kat, Protons for Breakfast etc)
I've got a reasonable idea of what I'd like and Octopus are sending a Surveyor on Monday. I'll get a couple more quotes of course, and see what's suggested. Seems sensible to put the max number of panels while the scaffolding is up, and I've been quoted for a battery too. When I was speaking with the guy from Octopus I mentioned the Givenergy All in One and he was reluctant to quote for that saying it was " not proven " which seemed odd to me.
Having worked in Electrical Engineering and being involved with the buying side as well, I've got a fairly good idea of what the individual items cost wholesale to trade. The preliminary quote from Octopus seems quite steep, even after allowing for scaffolding labour etc.
Anyway, survey on Monday, will report back.

Buck

Guru
When you price up the components, the "mark up" dopes seem high but we are al paying for expertise, knowledge, warranty and the fabled MCS certificate to allow us to export.

I have the GivEnergy 5kWh Gen3 couple to a 9.2kWh battery and since install has run like a dream.
I nearly went for the AIO and Gateway but it wasn't available unless I delayed a few months so I went for the above. the AIO is a great solution and a real competitor to the Tesla Powerwall.

Not sure where you are based but I can give you my installers details if you want a comparison quote and you're North of England? If not, I know of an installer in the south that has good feedback.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The local council have just opened registration of interest for their 2023 Solar Together group buying scheme. My very low useage probably doesn't warrant the cost, but I might as well see what's on offer.

Tenkaykev

Guru
When you price up the components, the "mark up" dopes seem high but we are al paying for expertise, knowledge, warranty and the fabled MCS certificate to allow us to export.

I have the GivEnergy 5kWh Gen3 couple to a 9.2kWh battery and since install has run like a dream.
I nearly went for the AIO and Gateway but it wasn't available unless I delayed a few months so I went for the above. the AIO is a great solution and a real competitor to the Tesla Powerwall.

Not sure where you are based but I can give you my installers details if you want a comparison quote and you're North of England? If not, I know of an installer in the south that has good feedback.

That's very quote they gave was for of you, we live in Poole Dorset. The quote they gave was for a Givenergy 5.2kw battery, but the specs on the Givenergy web site say it can only be discharged to 20% of capacity unlike some of their other models which can discharge to 100%. There's certainly a lot to be aware of 🤔

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The local council have just opened registration of interest for their 2023 Solar Together group buying scheme. My very low useage probably doesn't warrant the cost, but I might as well see what's on offer.

The quote has come through today and for 8 panels, 4.6kWh battery, inverter, all materials & fitting it comes out at just under £7600 (£8800 with a 6.9kWh battery). It's a lot considering my low usage at the moment, but come March I'll be spending a lot more time at home during the day so...

I've got until mid November to make the decision.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Copied from the 'Mundane' thread...

The decision has been made - I've just paid the deposit for the solar set up of 10 panels and a 4.6kWh battery. Using the figures given, I may not make a return on my money for 10 years (if at all even with the export tariff) but with retirement next year I will be reducing my future outgoings once it is set up. The funds are coming from a savings account set up last year when I took partial retirement specially for home improvements (at the time I was thinking carpets and decorating :laugh:) and it leaves my long term savings intact.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My install starts today when the scaffolders arrive. I'm using a small local company who have been doing solar/ battery for over a decade.
13 panels and a 13.5 kWh Givenergy " All in One " battery and gateway. I'm of an age that I probably won't see " break even " but that wasn't the primary reason for having solar/battery installed.
It is going to be a learning curve with the setup, there's a " fit and forget " type tariff, but a couple of the " Octopus " tariffs look interesting.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My install starts today when the scaffolders arrive. I'm using a small local company who have been doing solar/ battery for over a decade.
13 panels and a 13.5 kWh Givenergy " All in One " battery and gateway. I'm of an age that I probably won't see " break even " but that wasn't the primary reason for having solar/battery installed.
It is going to be a learning curve with the setup, there's a " fit and forget " type tariff, but a couple of the " Octopus " tariffs look interesting.

Octopus appear to support Givenergy batteries for the solar battery tariff . I’ve just got an EV , and the off peak battery charge is working a treat !! 10kW might just be enough , plus solar top up to keep going till night time !

Top Bottom