Solar powered small pond pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thinking of getting one to save cost of current mains powered one. It is only a very small pond - about 4 ft x 3ft. Any pointers as to a reliable make that won't be too costly?

I cannot answer your specific question. In theory it is a good idea. However, the solar powered lights I see in gardens always seem to be very dim. My point is that even a small electric pump motor is going to need more juice than what a light bulb needs. I think you would need a decent enough solar panel.

Have you thought about making a small windmill, and rigging it up to the pump in some way? I made a windmill using a part from a flymo for the sail rotation, and a motor cycle wheel axil mounted in 2 small plumber block bearings for the house to rotate on.

What is the pump doing ?

LPH, watts etc used would be required to know how much juice you’ll need and therefore size of solar panel. Keeping in mind it will only run during the day, is that an issue ?

OP,

Is the pump to airate the pond for fish? Or, is it to pump water around as a feature?

You can get a plug in timer so you save on elecfruc that way. If it is required for fish maybe on for 30 minutes and off for 2 hours. If it is for a feature maybe on from 10am to 6pm only

OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
No fish - we just like hearing the sound of trickling water when out in the garden. The pond is made from an old plastic water tank only about 2 ft deep and 3x2ft square. A solar panel could be mounted on the nearby shed roof which is south facing so good sunlight except early morning. Doesn't need to run at night.

OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
Just trying to save every penny of electric we can - lots of things are always on standby etc so it mounts up - our bill goes up next month from £87 per month to almost twice that. The rise in the State Pension this year is nowhere near enough to cover all the increases in everything so we'll save when we can and try to minimse our footprint where we can - hence the question about a solar powered pump

midlife

Guru
We had a floating pond thing that was about the size of a side plate with a solar powered sprinkle affair. Was OK in sunlight and made the waterfall sound. Cheap as chips if I remember

Ok. Let us know how you get on with the garden project. I'm currently revamping my back garden. It can be time consuming, and in my case labour intensive due to digging footings out and all that follows. I don't currently have a water feature at this but I like the idea.

Top Bottom