Solar powered small pond pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
Ok. Let us know how you get on with the garden project. I'm currently revamping my back garden. It can be time consuming, and in my case labour intensive due to digging footings out and all that follows. I don't currently have a water feature at this but I like the idea.

I do like to go out and hear the sound of the water flowing but that isn't as conducive to hosting wildlife - we only have a smallish space so its difficult to decide what is best way to go

markemark

Über Member
Pumps really should be 24hr. And unless it’s a very large solar panel or a very small pump I’d be surprised if it generate enough power. Pumps should ideally pump the entire pond volume in a couple of hours. So make sure the pump you get is large enough. Don’t base it in what would work with the solar panel as it may not be sufficient.

OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
Pumps really should be 24hr. And unless it’s a very large solar panel or a very small pump I’d be surprised if it generate enough power. Pumps should ideally pump the entire pond volume in a couple of hours. So make sure the pump you get is large enough. Don’t base it in what would work with the solar panel as it may not be sufficient.

Thanks - my current pump is very adequate and is mains powered and on 24/7 (except in deepest darkest winter) - I was just considering if getting a solar-powered one would save the small amount running the current one costs and a nod to doing a bit for the green/eco trend :angel:
or it might not be worth bothering as it will take time to recoup the cost of buying a new one

markemark

Über Member
Thanks - my current pump is very adequate and is mains powered and on 24/7 (except in deepest darkest winter) - I was just considering if getting a solar-powered one would save the small amount running the current one costs and a nod to doing a bit for the green/eco trend :angel:
or it might not be worth bothering as it will take time to recoup the cost of buying a new one

Pumps should state the output which is based on volume (gallons) per hour. That volume stated should be roughly 0.5-1 of the volume of your pond. If it isn't, then the pump is not adequate.

OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
I think @iluvmybike will achieve what he needs with a small simple pump, likely powered from a panel. He is happy moving just a small quantity of water for the pleasant aesthetics. He is not wanting to move gallons of water.

You have hit the nail on the head night cycler- many thanks. Just to say though 'he' is actually a 'she' - and always has been 😊

Top Bottom