SOLD: Carrera Virago magnesium road bike, 51cm frame, £150 - Dewsbury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is a Carrera Virago 51cm lime green road bike with a difference. Manufactured by Merida it was constructed on a magnesium frame for both stiffness and a lightweight base. Suitable for height 5' 3" through to 5' 9" (I'm 5' 9" and probably at the limit for this).

The Carrera is a lesson in why you don't let your children choose your bike parts for you. Last year my then 10 year-old wanted to learn how to build a bike, but everything had to be in lime green. So I let him loose on eBay ....

The result? A lime green Carrera Virago magnesium - it's the same frame as a Merida Scultura Magnesium. It was built from a mixture of new and old parts; he bought a range of green parts and I added others, mostly the 'sensible' bits. Built primarily for short, quick rides it handles well and I even used it for a 10 mile time trial.

DSCF4389_zpsulj4gmab.jpg

It is used and the frame has had some green paint added to it as there were some chips. It's also got marks on both seatstays. Some of the parts weren't new (bars, front wheel, shifters, saddle) but the rest were fitted new when built in 2015 (stem, seatpost, rear wheel, front and rear brakes, cables, etc.).

Specification is as follows:

Frame: Magnesium lime green, manufactured by Merida
Fork: Carbon black with lime green stem cap
Front & Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora (front), Shimano Claris (rear) fitted 2016 with new rear mech hanger
Shifters: Shimano 2300 16 speed gears (2 x 8)
Chainset: Shimano 105 alloy silver
Chainrings: 52/39 Teeth
Bottom Bracket: Cromo Axle
Cassette: Shimano 12-25 teeth, 8 speed
Pedals: Flat pedals supplied
Front & rear brake: Campagnolo Veloce (front), Shimano Tiagra (rear), both silver
Brake Levers: Shimano 2300 with lime green cables
Handlebars: Cinelli 42cm 25.4mm
Stem: Ritchy 4-axis 25.4mm
Handlebar Tape: Smootape lime green
Wheels: Bontrager Racelight (front) Rigida DP8 (rear)
Spokes: 14g
Front and rear tyres: Vittoria Rubino road 700 × 23mm in black and lime green
Saddle: Carrera black and green
Seatpost: Deda RS01
Weight: 9.1kg

Why's it for sale? I had a serious accident in April 2016 and am unlikely to be able to ride this for the forseeable future. It's a pity as it is fast and very maneuverable.

You're welcome to come and test-ride.

Collection from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire - just off M1 J40, M62 J29. Alternatively we can post at cost.

For anyone from CC I'll add a lime green spider saddle and I've some replacement Clarks lime green bar tape as well.

DSCF4398_zpsnxff8bnb.jpg
DSCF4396_zpskueqp7jj.jpg
DSCF4391_zpsvdjlx1ci.jpg
DSCF4393_zps3zyz53eg.jpg
DSCF4395_zpsl5wgrxtj.jpg
DSCF4400_zpsskfogsin.jpg

1160896720_586.jpg

Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Bargain for someone here.Good luck with the sale.

D

Deleted member 41544

Very interested. What's the top tube measurement please?

D

Deleted member 41544

It's a cool looking bike, well done to your son for getting that retro look. I'm just pondering the reach, I'm 5'5" and currently ride a 48cm with a 70mm stem

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's a cool looking bike, well done to your son for getting that retro look. I'm just pondering the reach, I'm 5'5" and currently ride a 48cm with a 70mm stem

At 5' 9" I'm at the limit. The best way is probably to test-ride it - just ask.

I'm in Elland this evening as my 12yo is racing but around Fri/Sat a bit.

D

Deleted member 41544

i'm only in Castleford, so might nip over Saturday morning if that's ok?

Top Bottom