[SOLD] - For sale: Orbit tourer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
As my diminutive wife now has an Islabike upgraded to touring spec that fits her better than this bike, this one's now looking for a good home.

You could go touring on this bike anywhere, tomorrow - and as you'll see from the pictures, the bike has travelled a bit in its time (LEJoG, Ireland, most bits of England, Cyprus, France, Kenya). She may be small, but my wife likes to take lots of kit with her, and this bike's taken everything thrown at it with never a broken spoke or a wobble. After a few thousand miles, you'd expect it to need some new parts, and it's had these and is all ready to tour the world with a someone new.

Will it be you?

Steel Orbit frame, TIG welded joints, hand-made in Sheffield. Red and silver paintwork. A few scratches and chips, but no dents and no serious damage. Seat tube 19" or 48cm, top tube 21 1/4" or 54cm; standover height 29" or 74cm.

Transmission: all wearing parts recently replaced. Alivio triple MTB chainset (22, 32, 42), Deore rear derailleur, SRAM 8-speed cassette (12-28), Alivio front derailleur, down-tube indexed levers (can upgrade these to suitable second-hand Shimano STIs if desired). Basic but good quality quill pedals with reflectors. New cartridge bottom bracket. Gears run 21-95"

Wheels: 36 plain guage stainless spokes; Deore hubs; Alex DH22 alloy rims. Nearly new Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

Avid Shorty canti brakes; Dia Comple levers (can upgrade with STIs as above). New cables and housings recently.

Alloy microadjust seat post and Islabikes racing saddle.

Classic maes pattern bars, 38cm wide. Cane Creek 1 1/8" threadless headset, 60mm front-loading stem.

Two bottle cages, silver plastic mudguards. Blackburn copy rear pannier rack.

Bosses for third bottle cage, front low rider pannier rack and bottle dynamo (besides the bosses for the things I've already mentioned which you're getting)

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0205-1.jpg

DSC_0207-1.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0206-1.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

PIC00123.jpg

PIC00137.jpg

exmoordescent.jpg

OrtonPO.jpg

The bike is currently in York-ish, but I'm travelling a bit in the coming weeks, so I might be able to bring it to you. Get in touch and ask; I don't bite (well, not often).

Offers around £300; PM me.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I already own an Orbit and don't need another one, but I would like to pitch in to say to anyone contemplating it that they are great bikes. They are sturdy workhorses. I've had many thousands of happy miles with mine and fully expect to have many thousands more.

Sam

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We upgraded it. It was second-hand when we got it - Mrs Uncle Phil prefers the old black-with-red-bits colour scheme to the new red-with-black-bits one anyway.

Islabikes seem quite opposed to the idea of adults using their bikes. We also enquired about getting some of the scaled-down parts they fit, but they said they got them as complete bike-sets and wouldn't split them.
However, we managed to find a triple chainset, a decent rack, mudguards and a pair of Campag 10-speed ergos and that's all that was really needed. We might need to consider 36-spoke wheels at some point, but as she's so little even that probably isn't necessary (as long as I can get her to take less STUFF when we go touring)...

Sam- thanks for the endorsement. It is a great little bike and we'll be sad to see it go. But we need the space in the bike shed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom