Sold:Pashley PDQ Recumbent Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I bought this PDQ last year to see if I could manage to ride a recumbent bicycle as well as my recumbent trike. I ride recumbents due to shoulder damage and now accept that for me it is trike or nothing - so the PDQ is for sale. The PDQ is in very good condition for a 20 (ish) year old bicycle. Since getting it I have replaced all cables and put new brake/gear shifters on. I have fitted mudguards and a rack. She is equipped with Shimano double sided pedals (SPD/Flat) and I will sell it complete with lights and pannier bags as fitted so she really is ready to ride. The rear wheel has a SRAM dual hub meaning it has a 3 speed (like an old Sturmer Archer) as well as a 7 speed derailleur which gives a full 21 gears with a good wide range. It is also possible to manually move the chain onto a different chain ring at the front giving even more choice. It does take a little practise to get used to riding a recumbent bicycle - but the PDQ was considered to be one of the easier ones to learn on. I am not in a rush to sell so will see if there's any interest on here before I list on eBay (where I have 100% rating as seller and buyer) Asking £350 - no offers as I know it will achieve more an eBay - but I will avoid selling and PayPal fees. Inspection positively welcome. I can deliver within a certain range - at cost. Happy to send by courier arranged by buyer - but unlikely to be able to box it.

no offers as I know it will achieve more an eBay - but I will avoid selling and PayPal fees.

If you do end up selling via eBay DO NOT accept PayPal if the buyer is collecting. This leaves you open to being scammed. Cash on collection is the only safe way as a seller.

Happy to send by courier arranged by buyer.

Again if you sell via eBay DO NOT allow a buyer to provide their own courier as you will again be wide open to scammers, sad but true.

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi, I know the eBay scammer tricks thanks. Sadly the days of a "handshake" are long gone.
Careful checking of feedback and not selling to new buyers helps. Where I have sold to someone who collects it has always been cash on collection as PayPal can be reversed and costs an arm and half a leg for the seller. On one occasion where I did accept PayPal and the guy wanted to collect (said he was short of cash so wanted to use credit card via PayPal) I got him to leave feedback using his smartphone before he left. Always worth mentioning the risks though as too many people get duped by the pond life scammers .

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
Sorry this isn't a buying question, but how are you finding the trike for your shoulder?
Do you prefer the recumbent over a DF?
I also suffer with a shoulder injury, but live in a hilly area where I feel a trike would be suitable, but also the drivers are morons so would probably end up with a few SMIDSY's.

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
No problem Rob. A recumbent trike has been great for me in keeping me cycling. My shoulders become more painful if I put pressure on them for more than a few minutes - so I can ride my conventional cycle up to a few miles max. The trike relieves this completely so it is great for me......but that's not to say it would work for everyone. A trike is harder work than a bike - 1 extra wheel to create drag. It is also going to be heavier and the position of the rider isolates the leg muscles so that you cannot use body weight, which combine to make hills hard work. Other disadvantantages are a 50% increased risk of getting a flat tyre. Storage and transportation can be more difficult, and some cycle paths have squeeze points that make it almost impossible to get a trike through. Finally there's the cost - even 2nd hand they command a high price. Despite the negatives, there are some huge advantages. Great fun, great fun,great fun and did I mention that trikes are great fun? No more clipless moments (recommend using clipless still because there is a nasty thing called foot suck where a foot slips off the pedal and gets ran over by the trike causing severe injury. Stopping wherever you like and always having a comfortable seat to use. One falacy I should dispel is your fear of increased SMIDSY incidents - the opposite is the case. On a trike you tend to ride further out into the road - which is the part of the road motorists scan looking for other cars. When they see you on a trike, you immediately have their attention, but because you are an unusual occurrence for them they approach with much greater caution. I have been riding a trike for about 4 years now and covered in excess of 8,000 miles in that time. I can only recall one occasion where I thought a car should have given me more room.....and it was a police car! Have a look in the HPV and Recumbent section on here and you will find that the other bent riders will report the same.

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
Thank you @mrandmrspoves , that's great.

I'd look at riding a two wheel recumbent, but I'd end up falling ass over tit and making a fool of myself, especially as we have more than our fair share of nasty hills to climb (one of which I have to conquer first thing each morning.
This is the only reason I'd consider a trike, so I don't have to "track-stand".

I appreciate the review, I will one day seriously looking into trike/recumbent ownership, as my shoulder is starting to get worse from my injury, so thinking DF is no good for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
@PlymSlimCyclist, had the chance many years ago of riding anAvatar long wheelbase? recumbent in Otley. More precisely Otley upto the airport. He rode mine up.
Don't rule a recumbent out because it's not a flat area.

Sorry for interruputing the sale.

Edit
Found the advertising leaflet, it was a Peer Gynt, not an Avatar. Sorry

Last edited:

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
@PlymSlimCyclist, had the chance many years ago of riding an Avatar long wheelbase? recumbent in Otley. More precisely Otley upto the airport. He rode mine up.
Don't rule a recumbent out because it's not a flat area.

Sorry for interruputing the sale.
Thank you @classic33 , always handy to have other peoples input. I don't wish to rule it out, as feel a trike would do amazingly around Plym, but appreciate the downside is you can't put your weight into getting up hills etc. Personally I just tend to sit back and climb it.

Will look locally, and see if I can get to try a trike, as would seriously love to, but my apologies for interrupting the sale with other banter.

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
No worries - hijack away! It makes my thread come to the top so more people see it.....I am not in a rush to sell the PDQ and it will fetch more once the weather is warmer anyway. I like the fact that more people are looking at recumbents and wondering whether they would like one.... .(the answer is almost certainly yes - but just like standard bicycles there are variations so what suits one wouldn't suit another. Always happy to let people try mine if they happen to be in this neck of the woods so why not come up for a day @biggs682 ?

classic33

Leg End Member
No worries - hijack away! It makes my thread come to the top so more people see it.....I am not in a rush to sell the PDQ and it will fetch more once the weather is warmer anyway. I like the fact that more people are looking at recumbents and wondering whether they would like one.... .(the answer is almost certainly yes - but just like standard bicycles there are variations so what suits one wouldn't suit another. Always happy to let people try mine if they happen to be in this neck of the woods so why not come up for a day @biggs682 ?
For me, after trying it, it was a Peer Gynt(never found anywhere that actually sold it) or the the Brox(Tomorrow's World) which I now have just short of 10 years(end of this month).
Oddly both seen in Otley, in the flesh as it were for the first time.

Top Bottom