[SOLD] - [SOLD] American Classic 420 Aero 3 Wheelset (Shimano/SRAM) 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zexel

Veteran
For Sale:

"...The 420 rim is the lightest deep section clincher rim in the world..."

They were my Sunday best wheels. As new condition, no marks, scratches, dents, dings or dirt.

I bought these in March of this year. They were straight and true out of the box and have remained that way. They've been used for 647 dry pampered miles. Oh sorry, I was caught out in the rain just once.

The original and excellent braking surface machining on the rim is still there (can see in the pictures). My Sunday ride didn't involve much braking. Live near the fens :biggrin:. The hubs are smooth as silk.

There is someone on this forum with these wheels, can't remember who it is at the moment, who I'm sure would give a review.

I will be including the Michelin Lithion tyres and Specialized tubes (both fitted when new) which have had no punctures so haven't been removed since new, also original American Classic quick release skewers and spacer which you may or may not need.

I will also include two Park Tools 19mm hub spanners if ever the rear hub needs servicing.

I paid £500 for these in March. I am looking for £375 which includes 1st class, recorded and insured postage.

Edit: Viewing/collection welcome too.

dscf31291473060.jpg

dscf31301482853.jpg

dscf31311491963.jpg

dscf3595.jpg

dscf3596u.jpg

dscf3598i.jpg

dscf3597.jpg

dscf3599.jpg

dscf3600v.jpg

dscf3593mk.jpg

OP
OP
zexel

zexel

Veteran
...and the manufacturer speak,

"The new 420 Aero 3’s are stronger than ever for serious riders and racers. They are the best do-it-all wheels on the market, strong enough for racing or training. The new lightweight high–low hub flange is engineered to carry balanced spoke tension on all spokes
for increased side to side stiffness and strength. The 3 spoke lacing groups result in consistent spoke tension and share the load equally for increased wheel durability. The 420 rim is the lightest deep section clincher rim in the world with technology designed
by Bill Shook. Improved braking surface. Low spoke count bladed spokes shave weight, boost aerodynamics and stiffness. The rim profile and bladed spokes slice the wind to hold your high
end cruising speed. The ride is fast, responsive and smooth with great accelerating properties, brisk climbing and speedy descents."

Specifications
DISCIPLINE Road / Triathlon / Cyclocross
WEIGHT Front 663 gr Rear 867 gr Pair 1530 gr
HUBS Front Micro 58 100mm Rear High Low Flange 130mm
REAR SPLINE Shimano/SRAM 9/10 or Campagnolo 9/10/11
LOOK & COLOR New AC Alphatype White with Red Hubs, AC Black Bigtype with White Hubs
EXTRAS Ceramic Bearings, Titanium QR's, Wheel Bags
RIMS 34mm Deep Section 420 gr Aluminum Clincher
SPOKES AC Bladed Spokes Black
NIPPLES AC Aluminum Nipples Silver
18h Radial Front, 24h 3-Cross Rear Drive Rear, Radial Non-Drive

Svendo

Guru
I had a pair of the previous incarnation of these (Main difference being the rear has a more conventional spoke pattern.) until I folded the front one colliding with a car in March. Now I just have the rear.
I found them to be lovely wheels, stayed true for the 18 months I had them, hubs REALLY smooth and free rotating. They are deep enough to give a definite aero advantage (I have lighter Dura Ace C24s now, and my top speeds descending are 4-5 mph slower.) but not so deep you're terrified of cross winds. They are also lighter than a lot of the carbon alternatives, looking around it's hard to see anything as good or as light without spending at least twice as much.
If these were the black colour option I'd probably get then myself!

OP
OP
zexel

zexel

Veteran
Just in case one was to struggle with that. :biggrin:

Actually I wrote to American Classic asking them the purpose of the single white spoke, whether functional (less weight to allow for valve) or purely aesthetic. Purely aesthetic was their reply.

OP
OP
zexel

zexel

Veteran
Zexel - those wheels would go perfectly with a Trek Madone 4.7 no?!

I'd be tempted if I was feeling wealthier. Reviews of them are very good.

You saying that, the bike they went on has a similar colour scheme to the 4.7 :biggrin:...

Trek pic.

I was very nearly swayed to getting the 4.7 but these wheels caught my eye instead.

Actually looking at the 4.7 in more detail I reckon the wheels would suit your bike much much better than mine! :tongue:

You saying that, the bike they went on has a similar colour scheme to the 4.7 :biggrin:...

Trek pic.

I was very nearly swayed to getting the 4.7 but these wheels caught my eye instead.

Actually looking at the 4.7 in more detail I reckon the wheels would suit your bike much much better than mine! :tongue:

Did you get a new bike then? Those wheel caught your eye but youre selling them now?

OP
OP
zexel

zexel

Veteran
No, same bike. I put my Mavic's back on it. Couldn't bear getting road salt on AC's.:biggrin:

I need to make some room in the garage too. So a clearout is in order.

No, same bike. I put my Mavic's back on it. Couldn't bear getting road salt on AC's.:biggrin:

I need to make some room in the garage too. So a clearout is in order.

The Trek has to come off the road at some point in the not too distant. Had any interest in the wheels yet? Wish I was feeling richer.

OP
OP
zexel

zexel

Veteran
Lots of interest, but nothing concrete yet, not really surprised to be honest. I suppose the wheels could be qualified as a bit niche. Plus time of year and these austere times of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom