Solo rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been riding on my own for the last year around Surrey. The roads are busy with cyclists and i am amazed at the camaraderie. I recently bought a new bike and went out the first day and got a puncture. A guy stopped and put in a new tube for me. The next week, i got two more punctures and got help again. Thank you to both you guys for helping. I have now put new tyres on and have done about eighty miles with no problems.
I nearly got taken out by a van driver yesterday on a road just off Farleigh Common who seemed to think it was okay to take the whole road for himself and just managed to get through the tiny gap in the road that remained. Tosser!!
I shall take more care in future and assume that every van driver is an idiot!

Welcome les, there are plenty of CCers down your way - or that know your 'patch'. check out the 'Informal Rides' bit of this forum to get a better idea of what is going on in CycleChat...Roll into London for a cup of tea and a short, gentle ride hither and thither on Sundays perhaps?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome Les. You're pretty close to a few of us on here. I used to ride through Warlingham a fair bit on training runs last year, and am now in Bromley along with 'the massive'.

Watch out for those vans, mate.
It only takes one bad overtake. No les. No more.

gavintc

Guru
les eagle said:
I have been riding on my own for the last year around Surrey. The roads are busy with cyclists and i am amazed at the camaraderie. I recently bought a new bike and went out the first day and got a puncture. A guy stopped and put in a new tube for me. The next week, i got two more punctures and got help again. Thank you to both you guys for helping. I have now put new tyres on and have done about eighty miles with no problems.
I nearly got taken out by a van driver yesterday on a road just off Farleigh Common who seemed to think it was okay to take the whole road for himself and just managed to get through the tiny gap in the road that remained. Tosser!!
I shall take more care in future and assume that every van driver is an idiot!

Are your tyres up hard enough. If you have a road bike, check the pressure recommendation on the side wall and pump them up. Hard tyres will reduce punctures. You will need to get a track pump as hand pumps just do not cut it.

OP
OP
L

les eagle

Regular
Thanks guys,
I bought a track pump and put 100psi and don't seem to have had any problem since. I'm doing a sponsored ride tomorrow from Portsmouth to Brighton and am taking lots of fluids with me.Its fairly flat so it shouldn't be too bad(Hopefully).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Welcome aboard les eagle.

On narrow lanes where theres not room for vehicles to pass you safely ride well out so they have to wait for you to find a safe spot to pull over and let them go by. Dont be intimidated any driver with half a brain will realize why you are doing it.

If the vehicle is approaching from ahead you can still make them slow down by dominating the space provided you know they have actually seen you :-)

Top Bottom