Solstice at Stonehenge - bike access/parking/security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm only in Salisbury so was thinking to cycle up for the Winter Solistice this Saturday (I'm not a druid but I fancy having a look what all the fuss is about). Has anyone done this?

I've cycled up there a few times and familar with the site in general - although not since they opened the new visitors centre. Any feeling on whether I can wheel a bike in or have to find somewhere to lock it up?

Also if anyone else has the same idea and wants to say hello....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just take a long chain and wrap it round a stone .......................... must be a few around there

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I'm only in Salisbury so was thinking to cycle up for the Winter Solistice this Saturday (I'm not a druid but I fancy having a look what all the fuss is about). Has anyone done this?

I've cycled up there a few times and familar with the site in general - although not since they opened the new visitors centre. Any feeling on whether I can wheel a bike in or have to find somewhere to lock it up?

Also if anyone else has the same idea and wants to say hello....

What goes on at the winter solstice then? Its my favourite day of the year second only to summer solstice, just because it's the start of a whole new cycle and everything can only get better from there on, so I love the date but never celebrate it or do anything else to mark the day. Mid summer's great just because it's long evenings good memories of staying up late outside, enjoying the summer.

Must say I don't fancy stonehenge much now the new centres up, looked pretty rubbish on telly today. If I want to see images of the stones I'd look on google, doesn't cost me £18 for the privilege!

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
What goes on at the winter solstice then? Its my favourite day of the year second only to summer solstice, just because it's the start of a whole new cycle and everything can only get better from there on, so I love the date but never celebrate it or do anything else to mark the day. Mid summer's great just because it's long evenings good memories of staying up late outside, enjoying the summer.

Must say I don't fancy stonehenge much now the new centres up, looked pretty rubbish on telly today. If I want to see images of the stones I'd look on google, doesn't cost me £18 for the privilege!

I don't really know and are happy just to turn up and have a look. I expect there'll be a mixed bunch turning up for different reasons - the new age crowd, people expecting a party, the curious, etc. Over summer the day before the solstice, I buzzed past on the bike. There was a field given over to visitors with portacabins and already people converging on the site (including a couple of hippies clambering out of the hedgerow looking like they'd walked the last bit).

You're right, it' looks bad, but it depends on the approach...if you come from the south via a bridlepath and thru the middle of the cairns you can't see the road, and it does it justice. I'm sure there's other routes as well. I guess it was on a highway in it's day, and with the lay of the land, naturally enough it's still one. Hence it's horrible location off the A303 juction. Probably the worst road I've ridden on in England too, stuck it for about 200yards then bailed to the nearest bridleway...not stop artics and no room to over take.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I wonder if Ken Barlow will be there this year?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just don't get stuck in any weird temporal vortex, and get snapped back to ancient times, as they might see you and your bike, and burn you as a warlock :eek:.

(unless you ride away really, really fast...)

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I have to admit, looking at the weather forecast, I might just take the bus from town - "5000years back in time, every 30 minutes"

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Thread necromancy. I had several pints at Deacons in the end, took the bus - excited Spanish backpackers doing headstands on the upholstery. Polished off a bottle of whiskey, saw the sun come up, got woke up by a copper around 6, took bus home. Left no trace, took all litter home. Seemed to be in a minority on that one. Good night, but drags betweem 2am and dawn. This was 2015 when I finally got my arse there. But yes there was secure cycle parking in dedicated trailers.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Stonehenge is within cycling range for me. Every year I think "maybe I'll ride to the summer/winter solstice celebrations" and every year I curl back up in my duvet. I am a weak individual.

Access to the site is 'complicated', but there is public access running down from Larkhill from the north and along the path of the old A344 from Amesbury in the south. The track from Larkhill gets a bit rough but is still doable on a road bike. The stones are surrounded by a low wooden fence with a security goon on the gate to prevent ingress by the ticketless, but you're as close as you need to be just on the public footpath. Last time I was there I ended up having a nice chat with the guy on the gate once he'd realised I wasn't trying to sneak in for nowt.

Top Bottom