Some advice on tyre size please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dag Hammar

My Raleigh MTB originally came with, if I remember correctly, tyres 26 x 1.9. Many years ago I replaced them with a pair of Raleigh branded tyres in size 26 x 1.75 which have served me well and I’ve been happy with.
I am now considering buying a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and I am wondering if I might benefit from a narrower tyre and buy 26 x 1.5 ?
I predominately ride on tarmac roads so I‘m thinking a narrower tyre would be less ‘draggy’ on tarmac. The actual difference in width is only a quarter of an inch or 6.35 millimetres.
My question to you experts out there ….. is the minimal difference in size worth bothering with ? Would I roll along a bit quicker on a slightly narrower tyre or would I not notice the small difference ?
The rims are made by Alesa and have written on them 26 x1.75 so perhaps a narrower tyre is not compatible anyway ?
Thanks in advance, all suggestions welcome.

At the same pressure, wider tyres have lower rolling resistance M+ tyres have notoriously high rolling resistance due to stiff sidewalls, I would advise wider size.
Thinner tyres have lower weight and air resistance. For flatland easy riding these are not so significant.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don’t want draggy, Marathon Plus aren’t a great choice unless puncture protection is your primary concern

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can certainly buy lighter faster tyres but none so puncture resistant than M+. Depends what your priorities are.
There are a few options in 26 X 1.5 slicks.

OP
OP
D

Dag Hammar

Thanks to all of you above for the info. I would add that puncture resistance is indeed my number one priority when weighed against the other factors and that is why I thought Marathon Plus would be a wise choice.
I have Marathon Plus 27 x 1.25 on my two older Claud Butler bikes and whilst I have picked up the occasional puncture over the years I think they have stood up pretty well.
I will have a look at the Marathon Supremes and see what they offer ( thank you Mo1959 )
From the advice given I’m sure I will stick with the 1.75 width and abandon thoughts of going down to 1.5
I have checked out the prices on Spa Cycles website and also SJS Cycles, SJS come out best with the lowest price at the moment.

OP
OP
D

Dag Hammar

A bit late but an update on the above. Just prior to Christmas 2021 I ordered from SJS Cycles a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, 26 x 1.75 and also two Schwalbe inner tubes. The prices were the best that I could find on the internet at that time.
I deliberately held off fitting them until the summer when the tyres would be more pliable.
Pleased to report that having placed them on the lawn in the sunshine when we had that glorious weather I managed to get the new tyres fitted without much difficulty using only my hands.
Glad I bought them when I did, those Marathon Plus tyres have dramatically increased in price.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A bit late ! :crazy:

Top Bottom