Some Alcohol statistics...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Doing some more casual work yeserday, for the recycling crew, we happened across a house's box full of Lambrini bottles. "Someone's had a party" I said and my colleague said, "No, it's like that every week". So we did some rough calculations and it was nearly 6 gallons worth. Upwards of £30, and maybe 200 units of alcohol, in a week. And that's a normal sized council semi, not a house likely to be shared by loads of students, more like a family home.

We cover all sorts of areas, from quite posh central York, through the areas of terraces which are a mix of student houses, old folk and young couples, out to the council estates. And eveywhere, there seem to be masses of alcohol remains - cans and bottles of beer (dozens a week), wine bottles, cheapo cider and stuff like Lambrini, spirits, alcopops, the lot.

I know I'm a pretty light drinker - hardly ever at home on my own (I think drinking alone can be a bad thing, esp if you're a bit down as I have been), maybe a bottle of wine if I have company, and the odd pint if I'm out meeting mates, so am I being amazed at something that's actually normal?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
So we did some rough calculations and it was nearly 6 gallons worth. Upwards of £30, and maybe 200 units of alcohol, in a week.

stalker:tongue:

walker

Sounds like my nan's house where I am living now, the recyling bin needs to be double size to fit in the amount of empty whiskey bottles and bottle of wine. It's a surprise she ain't dead

Keith Oates

Janner
Some drink more than others, which is stating the obvious, but I once had a colleague who drank 14 cans of Newcastle Brown Ale every night and he never once missed a day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Pig

We used to live beside people who didn't have a bean, neither of them worked, kids in rags etc. But you should've seen the money they spent on cigarettes, drink and sweets from the icecream van!

And no, the icecream van didn't sell the drink ;0)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ermm, part of a normal CTC club run for me would be two pints - except for the week the pub had Marstons on at half price, and we stayed till they threw us out! Wouldn't normally have more than a glass of wine if i was eating alone, but this holds true for very large values of 'glass'.
Generally, I'd get through one, maybe two bottles of wine a week and two beers or so.
Do I need to book a place at AA? xx(

Arch said:
So we did some rough calculations and it was nearly 6 gallons worth. Upwards of £30, and maybe 200 units of alcohol, in a week.

That's your answer. If 6 gallons of alcohol only costs £30, the relative price of alcohol is plummeting, so making it more affordable.

I've also heard a theory that stupid house prices mean that first-time buyers are out of the market, so they are buying alcohol with what they would have saved towards a deposit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeh fiizzy pop - I had a bottle of 15% Aussie Red (called The Black Shiraz ? - has a metal label on the front) the other night - very nice (recommended), and at £9 a bottle so it should be !

domtyler

Über Member
I try to stick to one glass of beer a night me! :biggrin:

bigbr.jpg

barq

Every week I notice a house with two large plastic crates and about six or seven big bags (like the supermarket 10p bag-for-life size) full of crushed cans of Strongbow. That's got to be approaching 500 cans of Strongbow a week all carefully crushed for recycling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ours is usually pretty full - lots af tins of cat food (3 cats to feed) and plenty of tinned tomatoes (for us), plus alcohol as well, but it's the tins fo food.....

Add that to the fact we're re-cycling all palstic bottles, cardboard etc - there's another huge pile in my garage awaiting a trip down to the re-cycling point. After all this effort, we've really reduced the amount of rubbish that goes to the tip. Now have to work on the folk that put tonnes of packaging on fruit and meat.

Top Bottom