Some drivetrain questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
1. I want to change from 24 speed to 18 (8X3 to 9X2). I assume this means I have to change cassette, chain and rear shifter. Anything else? (I'm just gonna remove the granny ring on the chainset for now and my RD is 9 speed compatible)

2. Can I use a road cassette on an MTB hub? Reason I ask is the ratios on the road ones are a little closer and I don't see a need for a 32T sprocket.

3. What make of chain is best? I want one that won't get rusty every time it gets wet!

4. Easy split links/Powerlinks, whatever they're called, good idea? Reliable?

Bits I'm looking at are '08 XT shifters, XTR chain and SRAM PG950 11-26 road cassette. These should all work together yes?

1. Yup.

2. Yup.

3. More expensive = more plating, nickel or (nickel and) chrome plating doesn't rust. You can spend £40 on a stainless chain if you're made of money but an effective chain maintenance schedule will keep rust at bay with little effort.

4. Yup. They come with some chains; SRAM, Whipperman.

5. I can't stand Shimano chains but their cassettes are ok. It'll all work perfectly well.

6. Your front mech needs to have its inner limit screw adjusted but don't pull the cable through; the cable pull from granny to middle isn't the same as middle to big.

MichaelM

Guru
If it's only for closer ratios and you don't need the 32 sprocket, you could just put on an 8 speed road cassette. If you kept the front as a tripple, you could then use an 11/12 to 21/23 giving the close ratios with a low gear just as small.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I was thinking of changing to 9 speed, as that seems the way most bikes are going now and I think 9 speed componentry will be more common than 8 in years to come (in the same way that 7 speed is almost non-existent these days)?

Just future proofing a little really. Plus everyone likes an excuse to upgrade, don't they?!! ;)

MichaelM

Guru
Upgrading is nice ;) I want to upgrade my whole bike to a nice carbon or Ti model.

I'm guessing you're on an mtb - I'd say 9 speed is the norm these days. If you're on a road bike - 10 speed seems to be the way things are going and I'm pretty sure there's a 10 speed shifter for flat bars.

02GF74

Über Member
simonali said:
1. I want to change from 24 speed to 18 (8X3 to 9X2). I assume this means I have to change cassette, chain and rear shifter. Anything else? (I'm just gonna remove the granny ring on the chainset for now and my RD is 9 speed compatible)

front derailleur for 2 and 3 chainwheels are different but you should be able to use a 3 for 2 rings. Ideally you need change the front shifter so that you don't shift to small ring that is not longer there - the end stop on the derailleur may be adjusted so that the chain does not drop off but I think the 3 shifter have a bigger swing.

Top Bottom