some good flying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you want to see impressive helicopter flying you should see the Gendarmerie in the Alps flying their Ecureils. Unfortunately their services aren't free of charge though.

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
If you want to see impressive helicopter flying you should see the Gendarmerie in the Alps flying their Ecureils.

Maybe it's not that hard. Maybe it's actually really easy! When asked if it's hard to fly a helicopter they say 'Oh yeah, really tricky' but they could be just saying that. Maybe it's a piece of p** :0)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw an episode of Blue Peter once where the presenter was challenged to leanr to fly a helicopter. Did some sim work, then into a real Army helicopter, with an instructor. He explained that he'd turned the electronic stabilising dampers on, to minimise the effect of the controls. So the presenter takes it up to a height of 50 feet or so, turns, turns back, and down again. Then the instructor said, go up again, and I'll turn the dampers off. So she did, and he did and the helicopter sped backwards while trying to do a 360 degree roll, before he turns the dampers back on.

It seems they are very sensitive things, helicopters.

orienteer

Dayvo said:
A mate of mine´s a helicopter pilot instructor. When he was learning he described it (operating two different controls simultaneously) as like trying to fiddle and shave at the same time! ;)

How did he know that?:biggrin:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It certainly looks impressive, but, the question I want to know is - why did they need a helicopter ? They had police and an ambulance there - why couldn't they just drive to the hospital ?

TVC

Thte pilot must have a sphinter of carbon steel, and you wouldn't want to have to fill out a risk assessment form for that one.

As some of you may, or may not know, the air ambulance service is entirely funded by donations. It is not like the fire, police, or road ambulance which is government funded. Every time the helicopter takes off it costs a minimum of £1200, whether it's used or not. So whenever you see someone collecting for it please make a donation

OP
OP
bikie

bikie

Über Member
cisamcgu said:
It certainly looks impressive, but, the question I want to know is - why did they need a helicopter ? They had police and an ambulance there - why couldn't they just drive to the hospital ?

Our nearest emergency hospital is 60 miles away, mostly busy single carriageway

Top Bottom