1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some kit questions

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Twenty Inch, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Hi guys

I've found a couple of 32 hole fixed hubs so I wanted to ask whether people thought they would be worth building into a wheel for a commuter. I weigh100kg:ohmy: so wil the resulting wheels be strong enough or should I wait until I find some 36 hole hub (or would 34 hole do too ;))

If 32 is strong enough, what rims do people suggest? Wheels would be 700s.

I commute 75-100 miles a week carrying some kit and have a "robust" riding style over some rough roads.

Thanks for input and suggestions.

2. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Will do a quick search and get back to you..obviously YMMV on whatever I find..

Here's a thread: bikeforums to the rescue!
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-39208.html

I note one 270lb rider speaking well of 32hole Open Pro's. CXP33 seems to get quite a few look-ins in my brief glance.

Hope that helps!

3. skwerl

skwerl New Member

The Goldtec/Openpro combo is way string enough for you.
    Mine have been commuting daily through London for 3 years now and are as true as the day they were built (by Condor)

4. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I'm close to 90kg and use 32 hole cxp33's - big improvement over MA3's in terms of holding true and also flex (no more brake block scraping whilst honking!), built by the same person.

5. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Yes but I don't want string :blush:
    Thanks for input guys. Someone bought the hubs whilst I was dithering, so probably saved me from having another "project" on the go in the cellar.

6. skwerl

skwerl New Member

sorry, I thought this was BondageChat

7. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

:blush::biggrin::biggrin:

8. romans

romans New Member

I have built up 32 and 36 CPX33 sets, and an Open Pro, and they true up very quickly and stay that way. I am 85 kg though and the CPX33 will stand your weight. I build my own using stainless steel DB.